SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crap207

ID this GIANT Lime (citrus)

crap207
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Long time admirer of gardenweb, first time poster. I wanted help identifying this citrus, based on its fruit. I've attached pictures if they help.

This thing was HUGE. It looked like a lime, and indeed when you scratch the surface and smell it, it has the aroma of a lime. When I opened the fruit (sorry don't have pictures), the peel was VERY thick (about 0.5-0.75 inches). The pulp was very sour and tasted essentially like a lime. And it had seeds as well (which I planted and have since grown into a few seedlings). Unfortunately, the seedlings are still tiny, and don't have their true leaves yet, so I don't think they would be of much use in helping with the identification.

The tree was one I saw locally here in southern California on a walk through the neighborhood on a college campus. It may have been grafted to a dwarf variety, or the tree may have been young, but it was only about 5-6ft tall and 5-6ft wide. It didn't have too many of these fruits on it, maybe 10 or so. They seem to get this big in one growing season, because when I went back to the same tree in the next growing season, it had new fruit of about the same size as the one shown below, but it was still quite green and hadn't "ripened."

As you can see this thing is HUGE for a lime! Its was a little over 6 inches long, and about 5 inches wide! The other fruit that were on the tree at the time were about the same size as the one I picked.

I have no idea what this thing is, and I would rather not have to wait a few years for the seedlings to grow up for me to find out. I've researched it online as much as I could and have no answers. To my completely untrained and ignorant eye, it seems somewhat like a kaffir lime, but MUCH bigger. Similar kind of texture on the outside. I don't think its any type of citron, because I have had citron fruit, and the aroma of the peel is much different. This fruit definitely had the smell of a lime peel when scratched.

Sorry about the long post. Hope there's helpful info in there to help someone ID this for me. I appreciate it in advance!

Thank you kindly,
-Sam

Comments (29)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH