SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seagoatgirl

all my potted citrus happy except my lime - any ideas?

westgirl
12 years ago

Hi All,

Until this year, my potted citrus have overwintered the Seattle winter in my unheated greenhouse. After bringing one of my Meyer lemons inside and seeing it thrive (I'd believed our local gardening expert and my ex-boyfriend who said/experienced that citrus really didn't fare well inside) I went a bit crazy on my birthday and bought some new 2-3 year old trees from Four Winds. I've had them two weeks and they are all potted in the same mix (as close as I could get to 5:1:1 with what I had on hand), and in the same unheated room with south and east light, supplemented with grow lights. The Meyer lemon, Variegated Pink lemon, Washington Navel, and Blood Moro all had very little leaf drop and are thriving with each showing new growth. My Key lime however is not happy and dropping leaves every day. I think perhaps the mix held too much water, although right now it's dry at least 2-3 inches down. I've noticed that the thorns are all half-way yellow starting at the tips, Does it need more warmth? More light? Should I re-pot or leave it alone for now? I followed Four Winds instructions and all the trees are planted in pots 10" deep and 12" in diameter. After reading some of the extensive posts on potting mixes, next time I re-pot I will screen my materials, but I'm also wondering if the pot could be too big? I'm stumped as to how all the other plants are happy in their new environs, and my lime is not.

I've been misting the plants and even that makes it drop leaves. Anything I could do to get the mix it's in to dry out a little faster? If anyone had any ideas, I would love your expertise!

Thanks, and sorry for the long post...

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting