SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosybunny

Roses from Heirloom Roses

rosybunny
10 years ago

I'm here to let out some frustration and ask for opinions. Last year was my first year trying to grow roses because I was deeply enchanted by the roses I saw on Heirloom's website. I ordered twice, five plants in total, they lived in 5 gal containers until they grew big enough to be planted in the ground.

A year has passed, those five plants are all in the ground now. Generosity, which Heirloom calls "good cut flower" and "continually blooming", has proven to be neither so far :(

Martina Mondadori, the plant is looking very healthy and lovely but the blooms are all wrong, they are in glowing orangy red instead of the pale pink they are supposed to be, with no fragrance whatsoever vs. the strong fragance it's supposed to have. Heirloom did send me another plant of my choice to make it up.

Eiffel Tower and Double Delight both turned out to be whimps even though I pampered them all year 2013, at present they both have only one 2.5' relatively thin cane and a handful of weak short canes, not exactly a cheerful sight.

The best of all is Cherry Parfait, but it's still below 3' and all canes are thin and weak, don't know if that's how it's supposed to be.

I have fertilised all of them with very good compost also with Mill's Mix. In comparison, all the plants I received from Roses Unlimited last year are looking more robust and are pleasing to the eye. Do you think I picked wimpy difficult varieties? Or will they become true to how they are supposed to be when they mature more? I really don't feel so good about Heirloom, I think I'm done ordering from them, basically, if for similar prices, 2nd year own-root roses are greater deals than 1st year own-root ones.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm