SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Roses to shield beehives from view

marcindy
11 years ago

I have a row of beehives in my backyard that are fairly visible from a common area behind my property. For several reasons I would like to plant roses in front of my beehives. First for looks.. those white boxes really stand out in my yard, and I don't want to tempt mischievous teenagers. Second, the bed in front of the beehives also serves as a garden to grow tomatoes, squash and herbs. Harvesting tomatoes and basil 5 feet in front of beehives in shorts is always an adventure. I need a row of shrub roses that will direct the bees to fly overhead and not notice me too much when picking tomatoes. Finally, it's a great sunny spot and I want to have as many roses as I can in my yard, why waste this prime spot... :-)

With that said, here are some of the parameters to consider. The bushes need to be between 5' and 8' tall, and not spread too much. Repeat bloom and fragrance are preferred. They have to be healthy, I will not spray next to my bees. They need to grow fairly dense to block the view to the hives well. I like Austin roses (who doesn't), but would also consider climbers on a fence like structure, providing height but not needing a lot of width. I am in zone 5b, so reliably hardy roses are also a must. Maintenance in the growing season needs to be minimal, as it will require me to prune and work them in a bee veil, not fun in 90 plus degree summer weather... :-)

What ideas and suggestions do you have? What would you plant in this spot. Btw, the linear length is about 20 to 25'. Thanks in advance.

Comments (18)