SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
rosalie_gw

Roundup and Roses. (And anything else for that matter)

Rosalie
16 years ago

The amount of myth, misconception and misinformation concerning the use of glyphosphate almost leaves me dumbstruck.... Almost....!!!

I use it all the time, through my rose beds, around the house, around the fruit trees, along the fence lines....

It's cheap, easy to use and effective.

Where my rose gardens have been planted, in what was the front paddock, feral weeds abound. My sprayer and I know each other very well.

For those who don't know, glyphosphate works by attacking the chlorophyll in a plant. You spray, the chlorophyll breaks down and the plant yellows. As no more chlorophyll is produced the plant browns off and can't feed itself and so starves to death.

I have recently read on this forum about cross contamination when roots of sprayed weeds come in contact with your rose bushes. Wottalottatwaddle. (Wozzalozzatwazzle)

Apart from knowing the way that glyphosphate works on green matter, I have strong personal experience that cross contamination, so to speak is a lot of crap.

Sorrel plagues my rose garden at present; along with a variety of other persistent annual weeds. The only way I can stay on top of it all is to spray. Regularly. Through my rose beds. Often. And where I have my main beds of David Austin roses planted, and the sorrel has come back particularly rampant, in , around and through my bushes, I paint the bloody stuff on the weeds if I am at all concerned about drift. I also paint it onto the sorrel where it comes up through the rosettes of my perenial asters or my alstromeria. Has anything died through this profligate use of Roundup. No, of course not. If people are having problems with glyphosphate in their gardens, I would suggest that it is sloppy spraying practice rather than the chemical that is causing the problem.

Back in the early 90's, when I was still a keen sheep farmer, I queried the use of Roundup and the health and safety of sheep grazing in paddocks that had been spraytopped. The veterinary surgeon that answered my question, said it was pretty safe; Roundup he said was one molecule altered from the plant's natural chlorophyll; hence the ready uptake by green growing matter, and killed plants by causing them to starve to death. In fact he said it was so safe you could drink it. I don't like the smell particularly, so I have never put that one to the test.

Just to check up on what I remembered, twice today I have visited Monsanto.

As my attempts to cut and paste or post a link haven't worked, I will reproduce in part what I found there.

"The original Roundup herbicide containing the active ingredient glyphosphate was introduced in 1974....

Roundup WeatherMax and other Roundup products are broad spectrum non selective herbicides, which are active on most species of green plants. In addition to glyphosphate, the formulations typically include water and a surfactant system.

The surfactant system enables the products to

adhere to the surface of the leaves so the active ingredient, can penetrate. When the...

Comments (49)