SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Letâs talk Penstemonsâ¦.

I wannaâ know about the Penstemons everyone grows, the situation you have them in (drainage, supplemental water, etc), special requirements & care, and how long lived you find them. Plus any other tasty morsels of information you want to throw out there about them.

IâÂÂm sorry to say it, but this genus has kind of scared me off. Somehow IâÂÂve got to thinking they are all, for the most part, terribly short lived or fussy about placement. Pretty sure it all stems from the âÂÂRubyâÂÂ/aka âÂÂFirebirdâÂÂ, plant I tried years and years ago, when first starting out. It did great for two years and then pooped out. Needless to say, short lived plants have always miffed me, no matter how beautiful they are, lol.

P. digitalis âÂÂHuskers Redâ is an exception, it has done very well for me (could be because this species is generally thought to do better in wetter climes?) for many years. They have some new digitalis cultivars out, but honestly the differences from this one are minute to my eye.

I got some seeds of the lovely looking P. whippleanus âÂÂChocolate Dropâ and was able to get a small start going. Not sure if the poor little dear made it through the winter, but I guess time will tell, lol. A local public garden had a killer stand of P. pinifolius a couple years ago. Not sure if it is still there or living, as havenâÂÂt gone back to check in a long timeâ¦

On the whole IâÂÂve been deterred from trying others from my (perhaps) misconceived notions about them. Maybe IâÂÂm wrong and there may be some gems out there that some of you could convince me I should try, lol.
CMK

Comments (37)