SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gnabonnand

My roses from Vintage arrived

gnabonnand
15 years ago

Got home from work today to find a package from Vintage.

My very first order from them and my first time to receive bands from mail order.

I carefully opened up the box because I didn't want to hurt the "dinky little rooted cuttings."

To my surprise, they were VERY nice sized plants, with plenty of fresh new foliage.

They were packaged extremely well, no loose dirt, and the root balls were firm inside the containers (I've already planted one of them).

The "band" containers were a lot deeper than I thought they'd be, a nice surprise.

These roses were purchased to grow in containers on the patio, except for one, which will go into the garden.

And that one for the garden will go straight into the soil, because it looks plenty large and sturdy enough to go directly into the garden (well-prepared garden soil).

In the box were 'White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth' & two 'Marie Pavie's'.

There was a nice personal note in the box from Gita at Vintage informing me that my fourth rose, 'Pretty Jessica', will be shipped later in order for it to build some more size first.

How nice of them to back-order it instead of just shipping me some substitute that I probably wouldn't have wanted.

I am no longer afraid to order band sized roses due to this order.

Vintage can chalk me up as a well-satisfied customer who will order again in the future.

And I'll recommend Vintage to anyone looking for great roses.

These 'Marie Pavie' roses ESPECIALLY look great ... I am so pumped about the way they look, because they were the main reason I placed the order.

Randy

Comments (46)

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Welcome aboard, Randy. I've always gotten great plants from Vintage.

Sherry

• dallasguy
    15 years ago

I am glad to hear that the plants they ship are healthy. I am still deciding on what to order from them. I know I want Westside Road Cream, Placerville White Noisette and Pleasant Hill Cemetary. Thinking about blumenshcmidt and a few others. I went ahead and took Randys' advice and ordered Reine des Violets and Smith's Parish from ARE. They had both available in 2 gallon containers and I have quite a few of their roses that I get from a local nursery here. Thanks for the good news about Vintage, I was a little skeptical about ordering bands too....glad to hear they are good sized and healthy.

• Related Discussions

What If My Roses Arrive & I Can't Plant Right Away?

Q

Comments (16)
    What Karl says has always been my experience dealing with David Austin roses. I never receive the roses before Weds. (usually more like Thursday)--which means they send them early in the week to get from Texas to St. Louis. You can either just keep them in the box or I often (on Thursday-Friday) start soaking so they can be planted on Saturday AM. They are pretty good about sending when they say they will and if you have concerns you can usually get a person on the phone easily to check for you or change weeks as needed.
    ...See More

Vintage order just arrived

Q

Comments (2)
    I also received a Vintage order today and am extremely pleased with each of the six roses -- especially the very large 'Climbing Gruss an Aachen' they shipped. Even if I desperately want a rose that Vintage lists, I've learned not to order it unless the rose has appeared on the 'available' list for several months. This sale represents the ideal scenario for Vintage orders -- ie, a chance to order roses that have had the benefit of hanging around Vintage long enough to get some size on them. I've not yet acquired the expertise necessary to get those matchstick-size bands to survive.
    ...See More

My last rose from Vintage

Q

Comments (6)
    Still cant believe this wonderful nursery is closing. I got several gallons I wanted and have several more bands coming, so my last box has not yet arrived and I will, like Kitty, be glad and sad at the same time. I keep hoping that at the eleventh hour, Greg will say oh wait! One more sale! I raise horses and there was an old gentlemen who would have, every few years, a going out of business sale. It got to be a bit of a joke.....Wish Vintage would keep finding bands that hadnt been offered yet..... Jeri is exactly right. With the closing of Vintage, hopefully support will rally for the good nurseries that are left. Judith
    ...See More

Amba Towel Warmer from Vintage Tub Arrived Today

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Sonepi, my project is still plodding along and believe it or not, the towel warmer has not yet been installed. We had a small second floor extention built which contains a master bath. The tile is done and cabinets are installed. Just today I found out that the fabricator is coming on 8/7 to install the countertops. After that, the plumber will hook up toilet and sinks. Paint job and electrician are next. As for the hardwired towel warmer, I am hoping to have the remaining electrical work done, including that, by late August. Possibly early September, though, as we will be away the last week of August. I will post again when we have the towel warmer up and running. Everything has taken longer than originally planned, but hopefully the end result will be worth it! Susan
    ...See More
  • patricianat
    15 years ago

Yea! Randy, I am so glad you got these. Your garden is amazingly beautiful, neat, fastgrowing and one I would love to own. I know we will have pictures before season's end but wonderful pictures next year. Congratulations on the new babies.

• albinnibla
    15 years ago

Yay, Randy.
    Treat em right, and they will grow.
    Watch out for air pockets from transplant, which can kill a little band real quick! I have ordered literally a hundred of these band sized roses, and I believe that air pockets, lack of adequate moisture, and contaminated potting soils to be my main reasons for failure in the past.
    albin

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Randy,

I also received my package from Vintage and like you, I was surprised to see that they were larger than expected. It was pretty easy taking them out of band and planting them in larger container to let them grow a bit.

I'd order more roses from Vintage if I had more space!

Lou

• sunnishine
    15 years ago

I got mine too! My teas that I ordered are huge! 2 ft tall at least....The rest looks great too! The only problem is I am missing one and I don't know why. I really want that rose

I got
    Souvenir de Pierre Notting
    William R smith
    Catherine Mermot
    and then some older teas/ hard to find teas (I know not antiques..lol)

sunday lemonade
    contrast
    soutine ! Thanks to beth LOL
    Condesa de Sastago - thanks to mike
    and (vid) Typhoo tea

The missing one is El dorado :(. I emailed them yesterday and have not heard back yet.

Sunni

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Randy, the first time I ordered bands I was a nervous wreck. Seriously. I thought "I don't know what to do with these tiny roses" and was sure I would kill them. :-). When they arrived and I opened the box (also from Vintage), I thought "WOW! these are much bigger than I imagined, I can do this!" Unfortunately, that opened pandora's box since Vintage has so many wonderful roses and I wasn't "afraid" of them anymore.

Enjoy your roses, you won't believe how fast they grow.

Carol

• luanne
    15 years ago

Well Randy, I am more than pleased that it turned out well. Mine were also decent size but the beloved has already weedwhacked one down to size. It is now surrounded by retaineres of ornamental brick to keep the beast at bay. I do so want to see them bloom this year! I suppose they were already out of Irene...
    la

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luanne, yep, they were out of Irene C., but I am thrilled with the roses I got. I have wanted the "Vintage" version of Marie Pavie for a long time and how cool is White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth! Weedwhacked one of your new roses down to size, huh? I'm gonna have to have a talk with Norm. Oh well, I'm taking very good care of your Dallas 'Nur Mahal', so that rose lives on! Will steal the daughter's camera for a few minutes and post pics of its spring flush when it's time.

Thanks, Sherry. That's good to hear.

Dallasguy, I hope you like 'Reine des Violettes'. Give her good soil and she'll make you happy.

Thank you Patricia. I'm looking forward to watching these little guys grow. I planted another one today into a terra-cotta container for the patio. I got rained on while doing it, but gotta love this rain we've been having ... it's been sooo long.

Albin, thanks for the tips. I will watch out for that.

Lou, I'm really happy to hear yours arrived in good shape too.

Sunni, check the packing slip from your box. I think it was wrapped in plastic on the outside of the box, if I remember correctly. Mine had a nice note from Gita typed on it that one rose had been backordered so that it could grow some more before they shipped it. Maybe that's what happened with yours?

Carol, I hear you about the pandora's box opening up! Scary, huh? I'm going to try to show some restraint though. Heard that before?

Randy

• dallasguy
    15 years ago

Randy,

I just placed my Vintage order. I have NO idea where I am going to put all these, I think I got a little too into the idea of getting a free one so I ordered 8! I just bought 10 at North Haven and 2 from ARE. NO MORE this year. I don't have any room left! I guess the nice thing is that they are "bands" and will all be in a pot for the season to put on some size. Thanks for the advice on the soil, I always use the calloways rose mix, I will make sure Reine gets and extra bag.

BTW I ordered
    Goldmoss (thought the color was interesting and love that it is very fragrant with rapid repeat)
    White Pearl in Dragons Mouth (I couldn't resist the name)
    Placerville White Noisette
    Blumenschmidt
    Westside Rose Cream Tea
    Pleasant Hill Cemetary
    Indigo ( love the color of this one, though I don't know much about portland roses in our area)
    Mme Jules Bouche (love whites)

my alternates were
    Trinity
    Devoniensis
    Mme Joseph Schwartz
    Red Smiths Parish

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    15 years ago

Randy, so glad you like your Vintage bands. I have oredered from them for years and have never been disappointed. My Vintage order of 8 came today! Got 4 more coming as well. It is quite cold, raining, windy so I watered them and put them on a newly constructed shelf setup that I got from Walmart that I use outside to put my potted bands on. They will be protected in my horse barn until weather gets warmer - can open the back door for sunlight. The plants are all healthy - the usual Vintage top notch plants - and will be ready to take off when I can get them planted. I have found that keeping the wind off them helps them get off to a good start. I plan to wrap clear plastic around the shelf, leaving the top open, and they will have a semi greenhouse effect - no drying winds, internal moisture. Bands are lots of fun to watch grow. Our weather needs to get warm and stay that way - then they will be inspired to start growing. Good luck!
    Judith

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dallasguy, one of my Pink Gruss an Aachen roses was planted in a bed that had Calloway's Rose Mix mixed into it, and the rose has done very well there. I think that's a good product.
    That sounds like a great selection of roses you have coming. I'm glad to hear you've got White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth in your order. Mine arrived with new leaves on it that are all deep red in color, which I thought was fitting considering the name of the rose.
    It's great to have Northaven garden center here, I always look forward to going there. You scored big time there!

Judith, it sounds like you have a great process for your new band roses. Makes me feel kind of guilty for just "throwing" mine out on the patio in the wind, cold, & rain. At least I've potted up two of them, and it hasn't dipped down to freezing.

Randy

• dallasguy
    15 years ago

Randy,

I just got my ARE order today. I was suprised how quickly it arrived as I just ordered them on Wednesday. I was excited to see that the Smith' Parish had a few buds on it. I was wondering if I can expect the Reine des Violetts to bloom this year. It is on the small side but I have bought ARE roses before and know that they get big fast. BTW North Haven had a bunch of Marie Pavie, I bought one that was pretty big and had some buds forming. I need to decide if it is going in a pot or in front of Belindas Dream.

• blackcatgirl
    15 years ago

My Vintage order this week was a dinky add on order. I was warned that my Octavia Hill was small. She is less than 6' tall. She is not going to go to ICU, but to the Critical Care Unit immediately (as soon as it stops raining tomorrow). Bless her heart, she's a wee one. I also got Rozette Delizy, she's probably 8" tall.

My order of last November are all potted in 3 gallon containers, one of the Gruss Auchen's is pretty much kaput. It seems to be mostly dead on the main stem. The rest are happily leafing out.

I received Smith's Parish via Ebay from Emerald Green Goddess in Florida -- it came in bud already. Very vigorous plant, and never missed a beat going out into the garden (I'm sure she just loved the 40 degree temps of this week).

I also got my Mme Elise Varden (sp?) from Ashdown. My first rose from Ashdown. She was a teeny little thing, she is currently in CCU, into a one gallon pot, but bless her heart, her wee leaves that were just opening have opened up and she's already filling out after a mere 10 days.

I truly have no more room. None at all. Zilch. Zero.

And....IT RAINED!! We had rain for 3 days here in Austin. I have about 2.25" in the gauge out back. This is the first sustained rain we've had in over 18 months, I kid you not. WE had a few spits last year, that's it.

God is great.

(CCU is out next to my covered porch, about 3 hours of sun at about noon, very protected, close by to keep an eye on things. ICU is out in my warmest corner of the garden. In the summer its blazing hot with no wind at all, but this time of year its so protected and warm -- that's where me and my cat bask.)

ps - can you guess where I work? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: This is Octavia Hill

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dallasguy, that's amazing that you got your Antique Rose Emporium order in so fast. Yes, I did get a few blooms from my Reine des Violettes during the first year, but not many. And the first year blooms weren't as beautiful as they are in subsequent years when the plant was established. You'll have to be patient with it this year.
    So you got a Marie Pavie from Northaven, huh? Great! I planted one of my new ones in a patio container already and the other Marie Pavie will go into the garden when it dries out.

BCG, sounds like Austin needed this rain even more than we did. Hasn't it been great the last few days? I followed the link you posted to the Octavia Hill photo's on HelpMeFind. Wow, that rose is a looker. I hope yours comes off of life support okay, so you can tell us more about it as it grows.
    Okay, let me guess ... you work at a hospital :-)

Randy

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Randy,

I got my first ever Vintage order the other day too. White Cecile Brunner is very large and the other three teas are smaller, but healthy. I am really pleased; I was expecting the bands to be much smaller, and if I find any more room, I'd like to order from them again.

My Ashdown order is coming later in March. I'm trying some of the ADR roses and am curious about their disease resistance.

It's raining here too, hooray, hooray.

I hope your Maries Pavie are splendid bloomers. But tell me, what had you heard about the Vintage clones of MP? White Pearl is one I'd like to have - if Cramoisi gets as big as a buick I might sub that one... I really like red Chinas.

Gean

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gean, here is a quote from the Vintage website about their clone of MP:

"This is the fine, double form of Marie Pavie, not the rather blowsy one sold by some other nurseries"

I just wanted to find out for myself if there are any differences in the MP they have and the one that I already know.

Even if it turns out to be the regular MP that I have known, it'll be a nice little, fragrant, nearly thornless addition to my collection of roses.

BTW, my 'Cramoisi Superior' grew to be, as you say, "big as a Buick", in only two years. But I will be the first to say it is a fantastic rose, and perhaps the most well-adapted rose to this climate that I've ever planted. Cupped blooms with a color I really like, and sometimes I could smell a nice fruity scent coming from it. I'll keep you posted on White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth as it grows. Hopefully it will be as good as Cramoisi, but will fit in my small garden better.

Randy

• sabalmatt_tejas
    15 years ago

I should be receiving my first Vintage order in a couple of weeks. I ordered: White Pearl in a Red Dragon's Mouth, Marie Pavie, Pleasant Hill Cemetary, and Manchester Guardian Angel. I'm looking forward to planting these.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Randy, that is great news. Vintage is a company that I believe genuinely cares about preserving roses. Their bands are a nice size like you said.

Carla

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, Matt, it sounds like there will be at least 3 Red Dragon's flying around Dallas this summer. And I see you're trying Vintage's Marie Pavie too. Sounds like 4 great roses you selected, and I look forward to hearing about how they do for you.

Yes, Carla, I think you are right and that's another reason I enjoyed buying from them. There are no Texas suppliers (that I know of) that offer White Pearl in Red Dragaon's Mouth, yet the china roses are king here. So, thank you Vintage!

Randy

• jerijen
    15 years ago

I'm so glad y'all are getting WPIRDM down there.
    It's one of my husband's favorite roses, because it's so dependable.

I just love the thing. :-)

Jeri

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeri, I was just admiring my new WPIRDM this afternoon in its new container on the patio. Fresh new foliage is just beginning to pop out all along its little canes. I wouldn't have known about this rose if not for you ... so a big THANK YOU.

BTW, if you have time, could you post that picture of this rose that you did? I'm referring to the one that looks kind of like a Redoute botanical painting with two blooms on their stems with leaves and it had the Chinese name of this rose at the top and the English name at the bottom.

Randy

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Randy

How big did your Ducher, Cramoisi Supérieur and MP/MD roses get? I'm trying to figure out the spacing between Ducher,MP, WPIRDM, Bengal Fire and Cramoisi Supérieur.

Lou

• sunnishine
    15 years ago

Randy

I wish that was the case! Unfortunately El Dorado will not be available at all and they are refunding me the $$. I will not be able to get it now when they do get it due to the extreme cost of shipping it to this coast. I am sooo disappointed! I have had that on order since last year. I wish they had notified me when they mailed the box, it was so disappointing to open it and it not be there.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lou, my Cramoisi Superior seemed to want to be 8 ft by 8 ft, if left unpruned. Mine was very vigorous.
    MD/MP is sooo mannerly of a grower. Easy to keep at 3 or 4 ft wide & tall, even after several years. Such nice, even growth habit too.
    There is a Ducher growing in a local garden here that's owned by the school district and it's been there a few years. Looks to be about 5ft tall by maybe 4 ft wide at the most. Beautiful and healthy looking plant by the way.

Randy

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sunnishine, I'm sorry to hear that. I know how disappointed you must be.

Randy

• dallasguy
    15 years ago

Randy,

My Cramiosi Superior is only about 3 feet tall. I planted it last April.I put it behind a fountain as I thought it would look nice spilling over and framing the fountain It does get 6 hours of direct sun but not as much water, the sprinkler system doesn't quite reach there so I have to hand water it when I think of it. I am hoping it will take off this year. BTW Is Louis Phillip the same rose as cramoisi superior? If so I am in trouble, I planted LP near a gardenia probably too close to the pool deck.....I dont wnat to be chopping him down constantly.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Oh boy, that's quite large. Sounds like Mutablis rose I have. Very fast grower. I better give CS some room! I wonder just how vigorous and how big WPIRDM will be in our area.

• buffington22
    15 years ago

I've received an "infant" WPIRDM from Ashdown about 3 wks. ago and it is putting on new growth nicely. We've been having much needed rain for the past 3 days. Everything is soooooooo green now, from roses to perennials to shrubs to trees. I have not complained at all about the gloomy weather b/c I know it is like money in the bank for dry times later on. Randy I also purchased a SDLM and Archduke Charles from Chamblee's via a local vendor. They are both doing very well. My climbing SDLM has many open blooms. I LOVE SPRING!!!

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dallasguy, I'm not sure I can tell Cramoisi Superieur from Louis Philippe, they are so similar. Though many people have reported that LP is somewhat smaller.

Lou, I don't look for WPIRDM to be anywhere near as big as Cramoisi. I think Jeri in California's tea & china roses get big for her out there, and she has indicated that WPIRDM is not an overly large rose.

Buff, I think you are really going to enjoy your SdlM & AC this year. Have fun!

Randy

• organic_tosca
    15 years ago

Randy, I am slowly savoring my way through the "Tea Roses" book (managed to get it from the library FINALLY), and I now understand why you chose gnabonnand for your forum name - that rose has to be the Ultimate Tea! I don't mean for how it smells, or resists disease, etc., because I don't know about that - but just THE LOOK. I'll (alas) never grow it, due to my tiny space, but I understand now what its appeal is - it's so timeless and so lovely.
    Sorry about being a bit off-topic...

• oldblush
    15 years ago

Hi Randy. I'm looking forward to hearing about the Vintage version of Marie Pavie and seeing some pics. BTW is your camera working or have you gotten a new one? We must see some pics of your roses and garden this spring!! I too was pleasantly surprised at the quality of my first order from Vintage.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

organic_tosca, isn't that a great book? I've really enjoyed my copy. Yes, G. Nabonnand is a beautiful rose. Especially in the spring, it often is the most captivating rose in my garden, IMO. Its foliage is the best.

Hamp, I will let you know how my Vintage 'Marie Pavie' does. It is certainly off to a good start ... the two bands I have of it are in great shape, and larger than I ever expected from a band. It's bigger & has more foliage than the 'White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth'. But both look outstanding.
    About the camera situation. I still don't have one, but I promise to borrow my wife's &/or daughter's cameras when the blooms start opening. And that day is fast approaching, because there's a bud almost open on one of the PGaA's.

Randy

For organic_tosca ... My G. Nabonnand tea rose in the spring:
    {{gwi:243007}}

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Randy,

I feel for you. My wife hogs the camera so I never have it when I need it. I suppose the easiest way is just buy a new camera but it doesn't help when my little girl keeps breaking them. 3 camera so far...

Lou

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lou, we probably just need to get ourselves a camera and keep it under lock and key :-)

Randy

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Randy -- I'll have to look for that image.
    Tomorrow morning. I promise. :-)

Jeri

• organic_tosca
    15 years ago

Randy, that is so lovely - thank you!

• jerijen
    15 years ago

OK Randy -- You asked -- I finally found it:

{{gwi:243010}}

Jeri

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's the one, Jeri!
    I don't know how you do that, but that is so cool. Thank you!

Randy

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Very nice. I look forward to seeing blooms on mine...

• greybird
    15 years ago

And another Vintage fan is born...

• jerijen
    15 years ago

> I don't know how you do that,

*** It's magic!
    Jeri

;-)

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

That is really cool, Jeri.

• hodgepodge_roses
    15 years ago

I recently ordered 4 roses, 2 of which I had been looking for & really excited about(The 777 rose & Pretty Jessica). Sadly, by the time I ordered those 2 were sold out...I had put in 2 alt bands so I got those. I'm wondering do they refund, or ship later if you do not select an alternate? This is my first time not getting my top 4.
    Deron

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Randy, I have missed this post. I think it is great that you received your order and they are so large. I have been reluctant to order from them because of the word "bands". I forget what the shipping cost is, but I think it is rather high, but I may need to give them a try.

I love your gnabonnand picture.

Sammy

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deron, they backorder.
    Or at least, that's what Vintage did for me.
    I was thrilled, as I didn't want a substitute.
    I listed no alternative roses on my order.
    They have told me my backordered 'Pretty Jessica' will ship later when it has built up more size.
    I received wonderful customer service from them.

Sammy, for me here in Texas, it is kind of expensive to order from Vintage.
    But for roses I can't find at The Antique Rose Emporium, I will continue to go to Vintage & Roses Unlimited.
    Both places have sent me fantastic looking roses and give excellent customer service.
    I'm sure Ashdowns & some of the others are just as good, but I haven't tried them yet.
    Except I did get my Tea Rose book from the great people at Ashdowns.

Randy