SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

What If My Roses Arrive & I Can't Plant Right Away?

12 years ago

I've ordered 9 bare roots roses from David Austin and Regan, combined.

I called both the other day to get a grip on when they will arrive, as I have a medical procedure scheduled for the 3rd week of March and I know for sure I won't be up to planting them from the 22nd through the 25th for sure.

Regan was able to hold the roses to ship for end March, which means they will arrive first week of April. David Austin said they are shipping the first week of March. Both are fine; I've gone out and purchased enough soil amendments, mulch and fertilizer (all "Dr. Earth" brand) to have on hand so I don't have to scrounge around at the last minute when they get here.

However, my biggest concern is actually that they may wind up getting here on a Monday for instance. I work full time, and won't be able to feasibly plant them until the following Saturday. If this happens, can I hold them for 5 days? Past experience tells me this is really pushing it (I haven't grown them in many years, I'm at a new home after several years of living in apartments in between living my last house where I grew them).

Even heeling them in would be difficult since I don't get home until after dark, and leave before dawn; I have a long commute from NJ into NYC. I *might* be able to take a day or 1/2 a day off, but can't count on it and since they are coming in two shipments a month apart that complicates it even more. My BF would have been happy to help but he's in the same boat as me.

How long can I hold in water? Probably 2 days at most I'd guess. Can I keep them wrapped in damp paper that long in my garage (it's detached, unheated)? Weather has been so screwy here in the Northeast, the winter so mild that I am worried about them starting to leaf out quickly if I don't get them in the ground. I had no idea this would be so much of a concern when I purchased them them but who knew the winter would be so spring-like around here!

So, any help would be appreciated. I know they are tougher than I'm giving them credit for if handled properly - but since I haven't dealt with them in such a long time my worries are getting the best of me lol.

Thanks!

Comments (16)