SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

Aphids, Thrips.....please help!!!

aggierose
16 years ago

I'm going to start by saying I decided to try something new this year and not use insecticides in an effort to help the "good" guys survive. BUT, if it comes down to have the "good" guys around, or pretty blooms, the blooms will win every time! I don't see the point of putting in all this work on my roses if I don't get to enjoy the blooms!

I just came in from checking my roses for the first time today. I checked them yesterday and noticed nothing of concern. I have been waiting for my first bud to open. I noticed today that it didn't look right, so I tore it open and sure enough, the thrips were feasting inside! As I continued to look I noticed that 2 of my bushes are covered in what I am assuming are aphids. They are tiny green things. I've never had aphids before since I used systemic insecticides in the past. Is my only defense against aphids lady bugs? I read that nematodes are about the only thing that will eat thrips. Does anyone know about these? Is there anyway to attack the thrips once they are inside the tight bud?

Comments (6)