SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organicjulie

Aphids and ants, ants and aphids!

organicjulie
17 years ago

I am a little aggravated. It is rare in Oklahoma that we can have lettuce in May without it being shady or other measures to ensure cool soil!! So, I am spoiled this year. I have loved the rain and the cool weather we have had. So, here is my problem.

I have lettuce and spinach that I have been harvesting for about 5 weeks. I have never had such a good crop of lettuce or spinach in Oklahoma. They look great and are happy. Unfortunately, the ants have decided to deposit aphids on my lettuce. I usually can deal with aphids. You wash them off or in the extreme, use insecticidal soap. However, I am not spraying insecticidal soap on my lettuce!!! Lettuce is too absorbent. I know it is supposed to be safe but I cannot go there. So, what do I do? I wash off the aphids everyday but everyday, the aphids are back in force. Of course, so are the ants. They are carrying aphids like there is no tomorrow.

Tonight, after the rain, I did notice a few baby lady bugs. I know its a good sign but my lettuce is .... I think I will just pull up the last of the plants. It's supposed to get hot this weekend anyway.

I would love to know if anyone has any good organic ways of getting rid of the dang aphid carrying/farming ants! I know they will not quit with the lettuce and any help is very welcomed.

Thanks.

Julie

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor