SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

Breaking the ant-aphid cycle

karin_mt
14 years ago

During the cooler times of year I notice problematic buildups of aphids on my salad greens. I spent much of last winter using the soap spray to control the aphids, and boric acid, diatomaceous earth and ant traps for the ants... and then I spent even more time washing the darned aphids off my greens.

So for this fall/winter/spring I am going to try a different approach. I wanted to see if anyone else has experience to share.

My observation is that the ants bring the aphids to the plants and nurture them. When they are lots of ants there are lots of aphids. When I can knock down the ant population (temporarily), the aphids don't seem to build up as much.

I grow greens in ground beds in the greenhouse floor, and I watch the ants busily traveling along the soil surface. I've noticed that plants in containers are less visited by the ants and have 90% fewer aphids. So I am switching to growing all my greens in containers instead of in the ground. I am hoping that growing the greens in containers will result in a cleaner crop, and I'm hoping that the ants don't immediately figure out that the greens are now located somewhere else and resume their aphid farming in the containers.

Does anyone else have an observation about this?

Are there other strategies for keeping the ants away? We dreamed up ideas like making a water-filled moat around the ground beds, or creating barriers of tanglefoot, both of which seem excessively complicated.

So I'm thinking I will try growing greens in large metal trays up on the greenhouse shelves. I found a huge selection of different types and sizes of trays from McMaster-Carr. What a great resource for greenhousers who are looking for random materials! My plan is to get metal trays with handles, 18" by 13" and 4" deep, and line them up on the greenhouse shelving. I'm thinking the trays will allow me to sew dense plantings of mesclun as well as individual plants of head lettuce. To me this seems easier than having many individual pots.

One thing I really like about having a greenhouse is the experimental nature of trying to figure out the best way to get the results you want. So this is my next step in that direction!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trays from McMaster-Carr - and other cool materials

Comments (8)