SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyd74

Aphids, ants, and flea beetles, oh my

lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
10 years ago

This year is officially the year of the pest and I haven't even seen an SVB yet.

I realize that flea beetle damage isn't really that consequential, but the sunberries and ground cherries they are feasting on are in the front yard, and I'm trying to keep the plants looking nice for the neighbors and the local code enforcement. I've been hand squishing them; they're hard but not impossible to catch. Also I've been spraying with Neem, which is spectacularly ineffective against the flea beetles. Any other ideas? Is DE worth trying?

Aphids - everywhere. In the apple tree, on the currant bushes, in the amaranth, the peppers, the sunflowers, the tomatoes, on the roots of the peas and the peppers. Ants happily farming the aphids everywhere I look. Crumpled up apple and amaranth leaves, yellowing and drooping pepper plants, stalled out tomato growth and wilting sunflowers. I am not a happy camper. I spray twice a week with Neem or soap, I've drenched the soil where they are in the roots. I even conquered my shivers and squished aphids until my fingers turned black. I got desperate and put out ant poison figuring if they ate it all it would at least be concentrated in ant bodies and not on my veggies. I bought lacewing eggs. I interplanted onions, where I could. The ants ignored the poison, I haven't so much as seen a lacewing, and the aphid population is on the rise. I've seen (and treasured) a few ladybug larvae, but the aphids are winning the battle. I even have a rainbow of them this year- green, black, grey, and red, all in different areas.

All right, sorry for the rant. I'm a little caught up in the aphid battle this year. I would greatly welcome any additional suggestions or direction that any of you may have. Obviously something I'm doing isn't working right. I'm not fanatically organic, but Sevin is just not an option for my garden, especially on leaf crops like amaranth. Beyond that, I'm open to all possibilities that I can afford. Thank you!

Comments (11)