SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdaloonie

What I learned this summer...

magdaloonie
15 years ago

Year 2 of the stocktank has brought a few new lessons I thought IÂd share for the other newbies.

1. Fish breed. Yeah, I know. You go trying to make the best environment for your little fishies and it just gets out of hand. IÂve found homes for some but IÂm still working on what to do with all the goldfish that reverted to the duller wild coloring. I think IÂll bill them as mosquito and algae eating "working" fish and go after the ranchers and their horse tanks. The minnows bred, too but I can handle them.

2. Wal-mart water lilies, bought early, re-potted and fertilized regularly can be spectacular. The Souix is pure joy. 3 blooms at one time, even. Now itÂs getting fall color to the pads. I didnÂt know they did that. The Sulphurea is a monster which brings me toÂ

3. You CAN have too many water lilies. Or too many big ones, anyway. One little root in a mesh ball turned into the lily that ate my pond with a kajillion pads up to 14 inches and stalks like rebar. It bloomed constantly. In fact, there are still 2 or 3 buds but, lovely as it is, I gotta find it a bigger home. Get me something more suitable for an 8 foot tank.

4. In an unnatural environment, technology is sometimes the answer. I love my UV light. Plants couldnÂt grow fast enough to outpace the algae until well into the season here. Barley straw wonÂt decay for the same reasons (cold water but lots of sun) and the extract just didnÂt work. Once I got the flow adjusted, it was like magic. WouldnÂt be without it, now. ItÂs drained and packed away for the winter, of course.

5. You  or at least I  canÂt have just one water garden. The big one is full sun & home to the fish. Then thereÂs the shade tub which has to be bigger next year because the plants grew. Then the lotus tub also needs to be bigger but needs full sun. Then the fish nearly destroyed my water clover which led to itÂs relocation into a spare tub that ended up so pretty I have to keep that next yearÂ

6. Any body of water anywhere near breeding fish will soon house fish. How do they get there? IÂm not sure but they do. I kept mosquito dunks in the water clover tub but I noticed I stopped seeing larvae. I assumed the mayfly nymphs were taking care of things till I went to clean it out last week and found a 2 ½ baby goldfish in there. IÂll bet he thought he was the only fish in the world till he got relocated to the stocktank!

IÂm sure I had LOTS more lessons but those are the biggies. Wonder what next year will bring?

Vanessa in New Mexico

Comments (10)