SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Endless Summer: I learned something and stand corrected

mxk3 z5b_MI
13 years ago

Okay, as you may recall, I've blasted Endless Summer in the past for being a dud. Big time . I've had them for a handful of years now (got them when they first were introduced) and the most flowers I'd ever have was a measly few per bush, IF I was lucky, and some of them never even bloomed all summer.

Well, I learned something this spring...

Normally in the spring I go around and trim off what looks like dead branches after I start seeing mounds of green growth at the bottom - all this greenery at the bottom and bare sticks at the top with no swollen buds, I just figured the bare stems were dead. This spring I just didn't have time to get the trimming chores done - I would look out the window and think "those really look crappy, I *have* to get them trimmed", but just never got around to it save three bushes that were right in my sight line and driving me batty.

Guess what? I know you're going to guess it - it's obvious...

Yep, the ones I didn't trim back are finally leafing out at the top of the bushes (but kind of puny leaves compared to the bottom new growth) and are loaded - and I mean **LOADED** - with buds. The three I did trim back are nice and green with not a bud in sight.

So, lesson learned - LEAVE THEM ALONE and be rewarded...

Comments (12)