SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilgreenfrog

yay it's spring!! can you all help me replace...

lilgreenfrog
14 years ago

Burgundy Iceberg?

My husband and I love the color, size, constant blooming and disease resistance of BI.

However, its blooms blow quickly and burn to a crisp in mid summer. Also, it is a gangly plant, insisting on flowering at the tips of 12-20 inch candelabras with no leaves on them.

Any ideas? I'd like a similarly colored rose. I saw someone's photos of Francis Dubreuil on the gallery forum, but I was very confused by what HMF said about it. They list it as a tea that's hardy to zone 4, and has repeat blooming. I had it in my head that teas were rather delicate in the cold, so I was confused.

Anyway, this is a fairly prominent place in the garden, so I'd like frequent or long lasting blooms that don't burn - I don't have many dark roses though...is full Colorado sun just not the place for a dark rose? Also, the plant could be tall, but not terribly wide. Rust resistance would be a huge plus, as it would have at least 1 rust inclined companion. Black spot isn't an issue here.

Thank you so much for any ideas...I will check out our local rose garden once it gets going, but I don't recall them having much in that color range.

Best,

Lara

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor