SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moandtg

So, just how should I use compost?

moandtg
13 years ago

Hello everybody,

New poster here. Newbie to all of this actually. Never knew how much I would like gardening until my wife and I bought our first house a little over a year ago... The house came with a compost bin, Earth Machine, right by the backdoor and I learned not to put 40lbs of pears in it all at once -fruit flies were everywhere. Moved the 1 Earth Machine and got 2 more of them out as far from door as could in our city lot.

So now I have 3 earth machine composting bins and all of them are full pretty full. I add a little bit of this and a little bit of that. (Over the course of a year I have added 50lbs of alpaca poo, some light dustings of sawdust, some coffee grounds, 10 bags of leaves- very little added of that so far, and egg shells and home veggie peels and when started bought $15 of composting red worms, some rabbit poop and some finished compost and added some spent gardening soil, and have added some urea.)

I have done this over the course of a year and I have lots of worms so I feel that I am on the right track for cold or passive composting. I do not mix a lot, too much work. I know oxygen would be good but I have tennis elbow. I try to put in a small amount of different material.

I enjoy composting, fun to create. Really fun to see an explosion of apple worms.... when I put in about 50lbs of apples all at once.... was like a scene out of science fiction movie. 4 inches of a wriggling mass. Read here today that since not smelly maggots most likely not disease carrying.

Anyway, I thought to use some of my mostly finished compost last fall, dark and did not smell -that's finished right? Moved some rose buses and thought to amend the soil. 90% compost to about 10% soil. And, the roses did not die or seem to have too much shock. And, after reading a lot on composting tonight on this site, I wondered if I could have killed those roses.

I don't know what I am doing after all.

So, just how should I use compost? How do you use compost?

Do you use it in your garden? Say 50% steer manure 50% compost? Any qualms about urea in garden compost mix? Do you make compost teas? and if you do what do you do with the spent left over compost.... do you just throw it back in the bin? Can 1/3 of compost be made of coffee grounds?

Thank You for your replies in advance and sorry if I rambled.

Mike

Comments (6)