SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texaslynn_gw

My first stinkin' experience with alfalfa/compost tea

texaslynn
15 years ago

Ok, so I decided this year that I would FINALLY brew some of this highly recommended stuff for my roses....I followed the instructions per our rose society....even going out and purchasing a new 32 gallon trash can. I let it sit and brew - like my sun tea! - for a few days and eagerly anticipated distributing a drink of this magical elixer to my roses, which all have that wonderful new Spring healthy, lush growth (you know - before the summer sun fries it to a frizzle by July).

I forgot to stir the stuff occasionally, per the instructions, but did look at it once or twice. Not too appetizing looking, I must say, since the small amount of (mostly) composted horse manure that I had added was now floating on the top as a VERY lovely layer of gunk. Actually at this point it looked more like a layer of fresh cow poo! I put on my long rubber gloves and rubber boots and proceeded to remove the gunk layer so I can get to the liquid.

Now I have to say here that I have animals and more animals, including horses and cattle so I am not squeamish at all but the SMELL of that stuff was way beyond the "barnyard odor" that the instructions warned about. It didn't help that I also added a bit of fish emulsion so the "bouquet" of this sewage was deep and complex - like a bottle of the finest aged wine.

I was so glad that my husband, or anyone else for that matter! wasn't there to see me out behind the shed, scooping and gagging and then hauling this disgusting brown liquid all over the yard (in the wind, did I mention!). I felt like the guy from "Dirty Jobs"! My poor husband just shakes his head at my organic efforts (most of the stuff is a wee bit stinky) although he does get irritated when it always seems that he has something to do in the yard right after I've sprayed fish emulsion around!

I am hopeful that my roses will now look as fantastic as the rose forum poster, Pappu's (from Illinois)! The pictures that are posted on this forum are the reason why some us drag heavy 5 gallon cans of the most vile smelling liquid around our yard in the hope that our roses will reward us for our comical efforts with masses of blooms! They will, won't they?! :)

Comments (22)