SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suburbangreen

First batch of compost tea

suburbangreen
16 years ago

I bought the supplies to make a Dueley's Compost Tea maker at the store the other day and I'm excited about the possibilites of compost tea. I am a little worried about introducing pathogens to my soil though. I'm new to composting and my current batch is only my second batch.

I've researched pretty extensively and I've done a good job with my compost I think. My main ingredients have been shredded paper from the office and grass clippings from my yard. I also use our kitchen scraps, comprised of vegetable scraps, paper towels from the kitchen, coffee grounds with filters, tea bags, a little leftover bread-pasta-rice type products(although I'm avoiding these more lately), egg shells and that's the bulk of it. I have used no meat products and have avoided dairy and oils. Recently, I discovered Starbucks as a bulk source of coffee grounds and added a bunch of those a few days ago.

My pile has been built over a period of about two months. It has heated and shrank repeatedly over this time. I've turned it and added stuff along the way. It's amazing how small the pile gets considering how big it would be if I could have added everything at once.

We've gotten a lot of rain recently so the pile is soaked. I think I'm going to moved it to another spot, and rebuild it, adding thin layers of coffee grounds, shredded grass, and shredded paper throughout. Then I'm going to let it mellow for a couple weeks and hope it drys some. It should be perfect then.

MY QUESTION:

I really want to make some tea now though. Do you think I could pick through my pile to get some stuff that looks finished and brew a batch. Is it too risky? Could I do major damage if I used it a foilar spray?

Thanks,

Pete

Comments (5)