SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walkin_yesindeed

desert southwest roses?

walkin_yesindeed
16 years ago

I've been lurking here for a while, but am posting for the first time (waving to Patricia43). I'm new with roses, but have a white Banksiae hanging on in the backyard -- am totally neglecting it, as I understand that's what it likes, and am training it up a patio column. This week, I'm going to plant a Cl. Cecile Brunner to ramble all over our back fence. My understanding is that these are terrifically hardy, drought-resistant roses that grow well in quick-draining sandy soil. (though I'm going to plant Cecile in a mix of topsoil, compost, and a bit of bonemeal -- unless you all advise me not to do that.)

Can I ask for recommendations for another one, specifically one that can take 6-8 hours of full, hot, bright sun? I'd like to train it as a standard eventually, and use it for part shade in the front of our house. I was thinking Bermuda Spice, because I've read recommendations about it here and would love to find a white, full, fragrant bloomer, but we have almost no humidity at all, and I'm not sure Spice would thrive in the desert. Or maybe Golden Celebration, as I seem to recall someone here talked about finding an enormous, neglected Celebration thriving in the desert outside Nevada City?

Anyway, I'd love to gather your collected insight about roses in the desert.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (23)