SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelcarina

Best shade trees for the desert southwest OTHER than mesquite?

RachelCarina
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have been gardening for only a few months now, but I am getting the hang of it. I live in Tucson, Arizona, where it is hot and dry. I live on about 1.25 acres near a wash in the foothills, so we get slightly more rain than they do in other parts of town, but it's still the desert!

My house was built in 1984, and I assume that's when all of the trees were planted. Lots of mesquite and a few pines. My front yard has some prickly pear cactus, mesquite, beavertail cactus, saguaro, and a big open space right in the middle.

I would love to put a great shade tree right there, but I am SO sick of mesquite and palo verde. Someone suggested a Royal Empress, which I had never heard of. I have seen tall trees around town that look like some sort of birch, and they're very pretty. I'm hoping for something that gets tall and full. I plan/hope to live in this house for many years to come.

Any ideas? Also, would it be okay to plant a tree now with 112 degree heat on the way in the coming weeks, followed by a monsoon season? Or should I wait until fall?

Any tips from the pros would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

-Rachel

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting