SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

Tamarix...tamarisk...never really pruned. Some advice?

cadillactaste
10 years ago

We had this shrub ordered into our nursery. Non-invasive for Ohio. They said it was an old shrub that used to be used a lot. But because it gets a bit leggy ones have put it on the back burner.

Well...we've never really pruned it before. Last fall one branch was annoyingly in our way of the stairs. So I cut it back...(hubby got really upset)
But due to my pruning back a shrub that I thought dead...rejuvenating it. Has given me the understanding that indeed to make ones healthier they sometimes need pruned.

Well...this spring the one branch I cut back is amazingly getting longer branches almost and real full! Compared to the rest of the taramix...so I am itching to when this is done blooming and pruning bak come fall.

My concern is...how harsh should I prune it back? My husband doesn't mind the leggy look. I am curious if I could leave it leggy letting the top full in and giving it a tree appearance. This said...I am considering pruning back to the point I did the one branch last year. See if it will come back fuller on top. Or to prune it back hard...to make it a fuller shrub.

Anyone with experience that would know which this shrub could give me some advice so I am more confident with my pruning I would deeply appreciate it.

We also have one that I realize has struggled...half being chewed by the dog. Then to be placed in the shade which this is a sun shrub...it is barely struggling to survive. My husband wants to just toss it out. I am considering moving to full sun and giving it one more chance...

Comments (17)