SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anla26

I need advice on pruning Salet (moss rose)

I have been searching the internet for some good advice on pruning the moss rose Salet. Annoyingly, I keep getting results for portulaca.

I have had these three Salets in the ground for about 8 years now. I've pruned them in all different types of ways and never found a method I really liked.

Last year, I let about half the canes grow long and I pegged them down. It was pretty...but the bush also looks ratty in between the first and second flush and having canes of long ratty leaves was not so appealing.

Here's a pic...although this is from 2016 and I didn't peg them that year, I just left them sort of tall:

The three toward the back are the Salets (the roses in the front are Rose de Rescht which I sadly had to remove because of rust)

Here are some pics from today, with the long canes which I've unpegged and now they're just flopping in the wind...

The first question is: if I decide not to peg them again and cut them down, how short can I cut them? I'd like to either keep them nice and short and bushy, or peg them. No in between!

The next question is: do Moss Roses need old canes cut out occasionally? I know some OGR's don't like that, but I'm not sure about Mosses. My inclination is to cut out one or two of these older brown canes:

What type of wood does Salet bloom best on? Older woody or newer? Even though I've been growing these for so long, I am ashamed to admit I never really paid much attention. I know that Salet is a little different than other mosses in that it reliably repeats.

Here's one last pic to show them from another angle:

My yard guys are here today and they're eyeing these roses as they clean out the beds. Hahaha....I can tell they want to cut them halfway down with their hedge trimmers (or chainsaws!) like they've done in the past.

I gave them a look that said : over my dead body :))))

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths