SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fatimonster

Sick dracaena with spots, really need some treatment advice :(

Fatimonster
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone!

My dracaena started slowly showing brown and yellow spots about 6 month ago and now they are scattered all over it.

Here's more info about this plant's growing conditions:

Zone: 6 or 7, arid climate with pretty dry air and ~300 sunny days per year.

Soil: Standard potting soil with ~30% perlite

Light: South facing window, plenty of indirect bright light

Temp: 22-30C (never drops below 20C)

Watering: Flushing soil every ~7 days (with tapwater that’s usually been sitting in a bottle for several days) when the top inch of soil is completely dry with at the very least 50% of water draining out.

I did plenty of research on the internet about this issue, but still not sure what it is, for now I have two possible causes:

1) fluoride toxicity/excessive salts in water

2) fungal/bacterial disease

Here are some of the articles I've read to find out what is causing this:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/diseases/fungal-spots.aspx

https://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/dracaena.htm

So far I've tried watering only with boiled water that's been sitting in an open bottle for several days as well as applying bacterial fungicide (Bacillus subtilis bacteria), but nothing helped.

After the spots started spreading to the newer leaves I decided to cut all of the affected leaves and discovered more rusty spots on the stem:

The cut leaves (notice brown spots at the bases, where leaves attach to stem):

Spots:

As you can see, the spots vary in size, colour and even texture. I haven't checked roots, but they poke out of the soil on the surface and look healthy (there's one root tip that pokes out of a drainage hole and look firm and whitish-orange).

Is this fungal? Should I try copper-based fungicide? Is this water/soil related?

Should I just repot it? Should I cut the stem above the spots and reroot the plant?

I desperately need advice on what might be causing this and how can I treat it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (23)