SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
le_chika

Really, when do I prune my herbs?

le_chika
16 years ago

Hi everybody!

I just started my own little herb garden thanks to Chia and they have been growing really well. I am growing dill, chives, cilantro, and sweet basil. All of them seem to be doing well... here's their status (then my question):

cilantro: nice green leaves (tho they don't look like cilantro leaves); seed pods are hanging onto the tops of some leaves; stands about 3" tall (yay, right?)

chives: skinny and grasslike; they're all coming out of the same hole in the ground but i think that's because of Chia's instructions; again, some seeds are hanging on the leaves; stands 2" tall

dill: doesn't look anything like dill... has spindly white stalks but nice green leaves; same thing with the seeds; "stands" i guess 3" tall; most concerned about this one because the stalks are white and skinny.

basil: aside from cilantro, looks like the strongest one; no seeds hanging on, leaves are a good strong green; the shortest herb, stands 1.5" tall.

So, my questions:

Chia and everyone else that I've searched up/asked says that pruning the herbs will cause them to get bushier and hardier. I want this! What I haven't been able to find on the net though is specific pruning information for each herb. I keep finding info on what season to prune them in, what weather, pinch flowers, etc. but I just planted these guys... they're babies...so:

1. Given that I just planted my herbs (I think 3 weeks now), should I be pruning them now? If not now, when?

2. I don't think they're ready to be harvested for eating... or, are they? They don't look like they should.

3. Have their true leaves started? Without pictures on many websites, all the definitions are still quite ambiguous to me.

4. Okay, the big question: If your answer to #1 is yes, how much should I prune off for each herb type (inches from the top)? According to Chia, I planted 100-200 seeds of each type into their own pots. Should I be worried about crowding and if so, how can I remedy that indoors (I go to Cal and don't have an outdoor garden i.e. don't plan to transplant really).

Thanks so much for your patience in reading and thanks a lot for your help!

Berkeley Girl... Go Bears!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting