SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

When should I move my herbs?

leira
15 years ago

Last year I began the daunting process of building a stone-edged raised bed along the side of my new yard, with the intention of one end of it becoming my herb bed.

The problem is that I only got a small length of this bed built last Spring, and my mother decided to give me several more herb plants in addition to the ones that I'd already purchased for myself, so I ended up planting the herbs somewhat closer to each other than I really should have. They did fine last Summer, but as they get even bigger this year, that won't continue.

We expanded the bed late last Fall, but I didn't want to move established plants so late in the season. Now that Spring is here, I'm starting to think that it might be time to move the plants.

The chives have returned and are 2-3 inches tall. The French tarragon is sprouting, but is still only an inch high or so, and the leaves aren't really opened yet. Sages, thymes, and oregano never did die back, but are starting to look somewhat less dormant than they had through the Winter. The lavenders are about the same.

I'm in zone 6. Average last frost is in early May.

Should I start moving these plants now? Or should I wait? What would the best indication be that the time is right?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!