SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Had some breakage...

oath5
14 years ago

So Maryland had one of it's worst blizzards EVER this past winter, flukey as hell, and the weight of the snow has decimated some shrubs around here, it's really sad. So far my roses are generally okay, I have lost a big cane off of my 'Leda' as well as 'Henri Martin', 'Marianne', 'Hazeldean' and 'Plaisanterie'. I know, given how much they grew last year opposed to when they were planted, how much one thing can grow in a growing season, but if I were to give some nice well rotted manure to all my roses that that will help them make up for losing their canes? I have a gut feeling looking at the thorns and the way it grew long canes that 'Plaisanterie' is a monster anyway and might not need much fertilizer, but I'm just curious, some of my smaller roses took a beating, so like any caring parent want to pep them up a bit.

Overall looks good though! The snow might have killed this baby fig tree I planted, we'll see if it comes back from roots, but so far 'Mutabilis', 'Comtesse du Caya', 'Smith's Parish', 'Crepuscule' and 'Arethusa' look all okay, all the tea/chinas except Crepuscule being about or under a foot tall (slow growing things! Arethusa is new though, so it's excused.) 'Crepuscule' has actually put on some good size, I hope it finally gives me a good number of flowers this year.

Did anyone else have major breakage not from cold damage but why the weight of the snow literally BENDING the rose canes?

Comments (16)