SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soitgoes_gw

Eastern Redbud wind damage?

soitgoes
15 years ago

I have a young eastern redbud that I planted last spring. It was doing great this year. It probably grew 18 inches or so from last year and has (had) beautiful gracefully arching branches. The tree appears very healthy. It is maybe 10 feet tall at this point.

We were gone on vacation for a week and returned to find one branch broken. It was a pretty big branch, so I was disappointed. Having not been here, I do not know if it was damaged by wind, of if some kid was trying to swing on it.

Today I came home from work and found two more branches in the same location broken. There was heavy rain last night, but no real wind. Perhaps the branches were already damaged from whatever wrecked the first one.

Are redbuds prone to wind damage? Or should I ask the neighborhood kid (I have one in mind, and she doesn't actually live here--- her parents are preparing a house for sale and she has been spending time here while they do that) if she's been messing around in our yard?

It just seems strange; we've had plenty of wind storms in the year and a bit that the trees been up and never had a problem before. The branches are still young and pliant, and the tree itself does not seem to be in any sort of decline that would account for the sudden breakage.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!