SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastautumn

Do my cosmos seedlings have a chance?

16 years ago

I am a newbie to growing from seed. I tried sowing a few things indoors in early April and the only things that did well and survived my indoor sowing experiment are the cosmos, morning glories, and black eyed susan vines.

I made a few attempts at hardening them off, but the cosmos really had a hard time with that. Maybe the sun was too strong (I put them under a patio table so they got filtered sun and some direct sun as it moved), but what happened was that each time I'd loose some seedlings because the base of the stems of some of the seedlings would shrivel and the plant would tip over and eventually die. The weird thing was that the top of the plant would look fine and (other than the fact that it was bent and laying down due to the shriveled spot at the bottom). But there was no wilting.

I have 40-some cosmos seedlings that are still alive, and just transplanted 9 outside today and am hoping they will do okay. I just read in other posts to this forum that most people just direct sow their cosmos seeds, so of course I will do that next year. But for this year, do any of you have suggestions for how I might maximize the chances for survival of my cosmos seedlings? Has anyone had success with transplanting their cosmos seedlings?

Thanks!

Comment (1)