SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_house_j_i_m

Is it Evelyn ? unknown rose at new house

old_house_j_i_m
14 years ago

hi all,

2 years ago when I bought my current old house it came with a nicely extablished rose garden (ok, only 6 roses, but ...) out next to the garage. Great all day sun, wind and storm protection, but sometimes the little garden (where I also grow my 8 foot tall tomatoes) gets really really hot.

One rose, a pale apricot color, about 3 feet high and 4 feet wide, was the standout, lovely color in spring and fall (but almost totally lost its leaves in the summer heat and drought) along with a fruity old rose scent that really knocked me out. I read and read and, knowing a little about the previous owners, deduced that it probably was an Austin Rose, but really couldnt find anything that resembled it.

That is until I found some photos on here that Isis gal posted of her Evelyn. Mine looks very similar.

see photos: http://thejoshuashivelyhouse.blogspot.com/2010/02/is-this-evelyn.html

my apologies for the poor quality, I just got a digital camer so this is a digital photo of a paper photo I took this summer - notice the YELLOW rose in one photo - thats from the same bush. it was the loveliest soft blue-yellow color. similar to a lemon maringue pie.

Comments (9)