SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Calling Volunteers for Hollywood Cemetery Work Day, March 23.

hartwood
11 years ago

Hollywood Cemetery's roses need you!

Last fall, I was asked by the management of Hollywood Cemetery, in Richmond, Virginia, to coordinate the rehabilitation and care of their collection of historic roses. I am thrilled at the opportunity to help in an official (though volunteer) capacity. The first part of the project was to create an inventory and a map of the existing roses ... this was finished in mid-January.

Now I am working with the Donald, the grounds supervisor, to assess the condition of each rose in the cemetery, assign it an identity (if I know it), and make notes on what the rose needs in the way of spring pruning or other maintenance. I was at Hollywood by myself on Tuesday, and I visited 28 of the 120+ existing roses ... I say 120+ because I found a couple of roses that day that were missed and weren't on the list. I will be back down there next week, with Donald helping this time, to look at as many roses as we can. I hope we can finish this evaluation process in one or two more trips after that.

With the map and rose assessments finished, I can then put together a plan of attack for our work day ... and I can use as many rose-savvy volunteers as I can get. My first official volunteer to sign on was Stephen Scanniello ... it's really cool that he is so excited to be a part of this. I have asked him to do a demonstration, then I will put him to work.

I will figure out more work day details in the next couple of weeks. I wanted to put out this information as soon as we confirmed the date, to start to sign folks up to work.

If you are interested in volunteering to help us in March, send me an email with your name and contact information. My email address is: connie@hartwoodroses.com.

I'm so excited!!!

-Connie

P.S. If you read my blog, you already know about this. I did a post about it yesterday, which included some photos of one of my favorite unknown roses at Hollywood ... post linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)