SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27243269

Teens and volunteering: college goals

User
7 years ago

A big ol’ disclaimer: My thoughts on charitable work and contributions are very personal. I welcome any judgment you may have on the following situation, but note I’ve already instilled my and DH’s belief system in our children years ago. If you’re inclined to share yours, I’ll read it, but it won’t be implemented if it’s contrary to my own.

OK, so here’s the situation. My kids’ high school is a high performer and places great emphasis on volunteer work as a component of college application. (Because, why else would a high school student volunteer? ... sigh)

In my community, families readily shift church membership based on youth ministry volunteer opportunities to pad their college applications. Not my words—theirs. My family belonged to such a church when my kids were younger, but we since left.

My kids regularly volunteer locally in our community. But I’m seeking more large-scale opportunities for them.

We’ve brainstormed some ideas, from tagging along to a church’s missionary work, to starting a non-profit organization. The latter appeals to one of my kids because he’s interested in business and finance. He’s very driven, disciplined and excels academically, but also has a strong empathy gene. He has several ideas for feasible non-profit organizations to serve in our surrounding communities. But starting a non-profit is a complex path and, to be honest, our whole family would need to be on board.

If your kids volunteered in high school, what paid off for them both personally (individual enrichment) and in terms of college applications?

Comments (32)