SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glimmer246

Transplanting leggy seedlings

15 years ago

Hi all,

I hope this hasn't been answered before but I read through a ton of threads and couldn't find a specific answer.

This is my first year starting with seeds and I've made my first big mistake. I kept reading not to place the grow lights too close to the plants but it wasn't until too late that I realized too far is no good either. Now I have a ton of leggy flowers and veggies. I have already planted up the ones that no longer fit their pots by just putting the whole peat pot in a larger one. They are doing fine but here is the real question....the leggy ones that have not outgrown their pots are so delicate I can't imagine trying to dig them out and transplant them individually and I don't have enough pots (or room) to do this anyways. I understand from the posts I have read that I need to plant them up to their first leaves but can I just add soil to the pots they are already in? I was SO excited by the first growth(ok...it's a newbie thing:))and I am really hoping that I can save the rest of them. Thanks in advance.

Comments (19)