SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccaggiano_gw

I am so over the indoor sowing...

ccaggiano
16 years ago

This was my first year growing from seed and I learned so much. But I started my seeds (onions) three months ago. I know I started early but was using them as a learning curve.

I am so sick of this. The care, the daily shuffling to make sure the lights are the right height. Checking each plant for moisture. Germinating, potting, re-potting.

My litany of errors are far and wide. The kids got to the plants. Drowned my first seedlings. Next, they pulled my plant markers so I had no idea what was actually growing. Found sprouts in cell packs that weren't supposed to be there. The lights too low/high. Move the lights up. Move the lights down. Transplant this. Transplant that. Plants leggy. Plants stopped growing. Yada yada yada. Break out your violin!!!

And the ultimate slap across the face... being a newbie, I bought seeds for everything. Including onions, red onions and scallions. I have been nurturing those seedlings for almost two months. A few weeks ago, I bought onion sets from HD. $4.00 for 100 sets. Planted them in the garden last week and quite a few are already showing signs of life. More life and better growth than my seedlings. But I didn't know home depot would have onion sets and had to cover all bases.

At this point, I do think that I have encountered every possible "worst case scenario" and deep down, I know I have learned a ton from this experience. But please, please, please, just let me get this stuff outside!!! I am so done nurturing seedlings. I want to see the fruits of my labors!!!

To wrap this up, I want to bring my garden outside. And am off to throw out half of the 40 tomato plants currently growing because of the debacle caused by my kids pulling my plant markers :-)

Comments (9)