SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
no_green_thumb

I am so stuck! - art over my fireplace

no_green_thumb
10 years ago

I have been working with a great decorator who helped me choose the sofa, chairs, paint, etc. I am now working with her on a coffee table and end table as well as my dining room. I have put up some of my previous wall pieces just temporarily. I do not like the art over the fireplace and we discussed what I could do. While I could have her just "pick something out", I want to do it so it absolutely reflects me. I have many pieces in my home from previous decorators that I do not love! The frame could possibly work, but the colors are all wrong. First, I need to bring in some of the blue. Second, it is way too dark. Despite what the pictures look it, this room tends to be dark and I don't want a dark blob over the fireplace. I have searched art.com and like sites for hours. Nothing is jumping out at me.

Now I am thinking that maybe I don't want a painting - but maybe something else - but what??? To the left are two black framed pieces which are going. I am going to replace them with either 2 or 3 crown molding shelves, about 32" on which I can place pictures, etc. They will be more the color of the woodwork, but a little darker.

These pictures are not the best and the colors are not great. The grouping of pictures is antique stitchery samplers. My style is more traditional and I do have quite a few older, antique pieces.

I would like to go shopping tonight - but have no idea what to look for. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is a photo looking directly at the fireplace.

These are photos going around the room - colors are not accurate. They photographed very washed out and I don't know how to correct that. The proportion is also not accurate. Pictures look lost on some of the walls!

These plaques will be replaced by two or three shelves.

Comments (21)