SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

I am so stuck! - art over my fireplace

no_green_thumb
13 years ago

I have been working with a great decorator who helped me choose the sofa, chairs, paint, etc. I am now working with her on a coffee table and end table as well as my dining room. I have put up some of my previous wall pieces just temporarily. I do not like the art over the fireplace and we discussed what I could do. While I could have her just "pick something out", I want to do it so it absolutely reflects me. I have many pieces in my home from previous decorators that I do not love! The frame could possibly work, but the colors are all wrong. First, I need to bring in some of the blue. Second, it is way too dark. Despite what the pictures look it, this room tends to be dark and I don't want a dark blob over the fireplace. I have searched art.com and like sites for hours. Nothing is jumping out at me.

Now I am thinking that maybe I don't want a painting - but maybe something else - but what??? To the left are two black framed pieces which are going. I am going to replace them with either 2 or 3 crown molding shelves, about 32" on which I can place pictures, etc. They will be more the color of the woodwork, but a little darker.

These pictures are not the best and the colors are not great. The grouping of pictures is antique stitchery samplers. My style is more traditional and I do have quite a few older, antique pieces.

I would like to go shopping tonight - but have no idea what to look for. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is a photo looking directly at the fireplace.

These are photos going around the room - colors are not accurate. They photographed very washed out and I don't know how to correct that. The proportion is also not accurate. Pictures look lost on some of the walls!

These plaques will be replaced by two or three shelves.

Comments (21)

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

Just my two cents but it looks tome like you have a tendency to like old pieces, things with history. That's the direction you need to go. Give yourself the day off and go looking around at some antique stores. No where is it written you have to have the room completely done by a certain date or time. PART of the thrill of decorating is the hunt for things that speak to us. Take your time.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol, yes I do like the old pieces! That is my grandmother over the desk - a treasured photo. I just don't know what to look for. Do I want a painting - something architectural, what? I can bring up my antique rug beater!!

• Related Discussions

Does this piece of art work in my room (w/pics)?

Q

Comments (55)
    I love the first and last stripe! I like the way the line draws your eye up and the last one is simple enough to not compete with the rug or the armoire. the one I picked was tough; there were so many that had your colors in them at Horchow! That one seemed to go more with your rug (which looked red, gold and brown on my monitor!)because it didn't have any green, but in the end I was thinking it had a subtlety that might work. having all of the colors represented is probably your best bet, though- it definitely brings your eye all the way around the room in a nice way. IMHO, you can't make your walls look too tall. Drawing the eye up is almost always a great thing. And I think some height will balance out the weight of the armoire as well. but only you can see how things look in person! clearly you have great taste!
    ...See More

Art work over mantle - help please

Q

Comments (18)
    Too high, too small ; I agree with all of the above. Above the mantle is prime space/location, you shouldn't have to merchandise around the picture to make it look right. I disagree with adding more matting, possibly you should look for a print that can be framed with all of the image showing, this particular print looks like the matting is hiding some of the picture by cutting off parts of the trees, not too effective, imo. The colors do work in your room, the red is great.
    ...See More

Help with art over the sofa! I'm so lost!!! pics

Q

Comments (21)
    I would hang the two prints as you showed in the second to last mockup (with the four little pieces around them, only don't use those). Then I would get two wall-mounted, plug-in style lamps to hang on either side of the prints, to give you light over the couch and end tables without the clutter of lamps there. Maybe something like this? I like the modern aesthetic, and how the curve of the back plate picks up on the curves in the artwork. ROBERT ADLER LAMP I would stick with the first rug. The flowing effect of the rug is a nice balance for the very angular feel of the couch and loveseat.. Consider this pillow from Pier 1. Notice how the flower pattern echoes the flowers in the prints and also the subtle background flowers that you almost don't see in the print. Plus it pulls down the warmer tones from the print onto the cooler color of the couch/loveseat. floral pillow
    ...See More

What do I put over this sideboard in my foyer? Art? Mirror?

Q

Comments (23)
    80sgirl, do you mean the chandelier? That's called the Briggs, but it seems not to be available anymore. However, I have found a bunch of them on eBay, from China, naturally. They're not expensive pieces, but kind of a knock off of this very expensive light from DWR: Here's a whole page of the Chinese knockoffs: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=firefly+pendant+light&_sacat=0
    ...See More
  • cupofkindness
    13 years ago

We have a very large map of the world (it's a framed print, actually) over our fireplace. I'm not even sure that it is "me" but the blues of the oceans seem to work with the heathery blues of my pair of faux denim sofas. You can get world maps in a variety of color-ways, like taupes and antique looking hues. Though it doesn't make a fashion statement, I am reminded of just how big our planet is when I study it. However, in your case a grouping of smaller prints might be more successful in balancing the fireplace below. By the way, I love your little desk and chair in the corner, and also the oval portraits. So charming.

Also, would it be possible to add a full mantel shelf to your fireplace? I think that groups of objects help break the lines of a fireplace in a pleasing way, even a simple group of candles on a three or four inch wide piece held up by some sort of corbel could make a huge difference in the overall appearance of the fireplace, which is the focal point of your room.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Cupofkindness - what a great screen name!! That is a thought - an old world map.
    I am working on my husband for the mantle. We built the fireplace. At one time it was a full wall ugly brick which we tore down and rebuilt. When we got to the mantle, he decided he "couldn't do it". I know he can! Now he has agreed to try to make the shelves for me as I cannot find any stained the right color. A mantle is just a long crown molding shelf. I would love a mantle. Thanks for your input.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I remember this room from last year sometime, I think, and you have taken some strides with it since then :)

A mirror is a traditional element over a fireplace, and as long as it reflects something decent (not the side of the fridge with post its and magnets, for example) that could be just what the room needs.

I live in a city, so there is more documentation, but I have found an engraving that shows the building on my block prior to these; a photo of the house next door from an 1880s architectural journal that shows mine too, and a photo from about 1960 when there was photodocumentation of distressed areas where historic houses were in danger of being demolished; and a plat map that shows my house. Mostly on eBay.

My point is, if you don't have something of your own history for that spot perhaps you could find something of local history that would be a meaningful piece.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for remembering, Pal. Yes, it was last year about this time that I bought the furniture and painted, and then life got in my way. I am so sorry the colors are not coming through. The pain is BM New Chestnut and I love it. My decorator was a great, great help!
    I have this mirror from my dining room --- although not a particularly noteworthy piece, it was my husband's grandfather's. Ignore the stained glass over it. It would take some work to undo that - and of course, it is way to high. It does reflect the stained glass window in the divider and the kitchen - but just thought I would try it.
    Local history --- yet another thought. Thank you.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

I remember your room too, and even the stained glass divider near kitchen. I think a big mirror over fireplace would look great, especially reflecting the stained glass.

Love your collection of stitchery -- in fact, I plan to go to Boston MFA soon to view the collection of stitched samplers on display.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Gwbr54, I wouldn't think anyone would remember me! I haven't posted in a long time. I am not sure that a mirror is going to work as it then reflects not only the stained glass but the kitchen - not the best reflection. The samplers are works I have done - reproductions. They are so amazing to research - 7 year old girls doing them to learn how to stitch! I wish my eyes were as good as they used to be. I would do more!

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

You are creating a very warm, comfortable-looking room. I love that you've used personally significant touches throughout.

Have you thought about a tapestry for over your fireplace? You said you've exhaustively searched art.com and such places, so perhaps you've already considered this idea - but here are a few options:

I'll be the first to admit that I used to think such mass-produced tapestries were rather ... ick. But having recently bought one for my new office, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and have received a lot of compliments from coworkers.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh, my gosh, Aunt Jen were we separated at birth? I was just thinking that maybe a tapestry - I have been obsessing over this all day. (I should be working to pay for it!!)
    While I do love the mirror idea, I don't think it is going to work for the reflection. Not to say that anything I find will be the 'forever' piece, but I just hate what is up there now and need to get rid of it.
    I particularly like #1 and #3. Where did you find them???

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

Your FP seems taller than most, but maybe that's just the picture. Did you ever consider a mantle with candles, etc., instead of a picture? Or how about a clock?

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Hey, great minds think alike! LOL! All of the tapestries I posted are from art.com. That's where I originally found the one I ended up with - but ordered it from an eBay seller for less $.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gracie - yes, I am considering a mantel - the fireplace may seem higher as it does have a hearth that is about 12" high - leftover from prior fireplace. We would have had to have moved the firebox to have the hearth flush with the floor - I would have liked it - DH wasn't up for rebuilding the entire thing! Even with a mantel, I still need something there.
    Thanks, Jen. I spent many hours on art.com - and didn't even know they had tapestries. I was stuck in the prints. I like the map - but I think it would be way too big. Great ideas though. Thanks

• oceanna
    13 years ago

You're off to a great start. You need some pretty green plants in there, I think.

You have gotten such great suggestions here. One more? Have you looked at our Fireplaces thread in the Gallery? There are so many pretty photos in there. You might also enjoy the Cottage Decor thread because you like antiques.

Yes, go antique store shopping and don't forget Craigslist. It's amazing what you can find there.

I'll give you the main Gallery link here to get you started (you also might want to look at the Living Rooms thread):

Here is a link that might be useful: Main Gallery Link

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Could you group the portrait over the desk and the portrait next to the TV cabinet together? The background colors look like they'd go nicely with your tile surround.

• User
    13 years ago

It looks to me that you have two antique portraits similarly framed in lovely oval frames. Can you try hanging the mirror lower and hanging the two portraits lower and on either side of the fireplace?----far enough to the sides that they are on the wall where the two chairs are spaced. The mirror is an interesting shape that goes well in size and character with your other pieces. Using the mirror and showcasing the portraits on the same wall might buy you time until you find something you cannot live without.

Question--- are your two chairs flanking the fireplace and the one near the desk upholstered in the same fabric? If so, I would move the chair near the desk to another room or re-cover it, as that is too much of the same thing in one room, IMO. Alternatively, you could get a nice slipcover for it at a place like Todo es online. . . . Just a thought. You could pull out a different solid color from the stripe or go with a small scale print in the same family.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Iceanna, I drooled over those fireplace surrounds in the gallery - breath-taking antiques.
    Franksmom and Kswl - I do not want to hang those portraits over the fireplace. The fireplace is gas and emits a lot of heat - and a lot of it goes up (ask the poor fresh wreath I hung over the fireplace this Christmas). The woman is my grandmother and probably is 115 years old. I am afraid of the heat.
    Kswl - there are only two chairs upholstered the same - the two flanking the fireplace.
    I gave a lot of thought to comments here - a lot - and then DH decided to go shopping with me on Friday. He very rarely goes as he figures everything is a matter of opinion - and he couldn't figure out why I wanted to replace the piece currently there.
    Anyway - off we went in the snow. I looked at a lot of prints and saw this one. Were the colors good? Yes, perfect. More importantly, did it reflect me. I looked at the scene and immediately thought old, calm, serene, could almost see people walking up the street in days gone by. Life is more than intense right now and I am going for quiet at home! So we bought it knowing we could return it -but alone it seemed to small. We trooped through a few more stores and started looking at scones. He liked these as they mimic the fireplace surround which we do love. We came home and I told him I was going to wait until my DILs came today - he told me he liked it and "just hang it" - so we did.
    I do like it. Is it forever? Probably not. Will I always keep looking? Yes, but I do like it. The sconces look amazing lit (am going to look for battery-operated candles).
    So for now, I like it and certainly better than the purple print, which now has a new home.

I don't know how the colors are going to come through but here goes:

For years I have been wanting to take the ugly mirrors off my dresser - the picture is perfect - picks up the colors in the comforter:

I still need to "dress" the dresser ---

• oceanna
    13 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed that thread, and hoped it might give you some inspiration for what to put over the fireplace. I love the painting you chose -- but I would frame it. I agree it gives a very serene feeling.

For ideas on what to put on your dresser, if you need them, you might want to browse the Bedrooms thread in the Gallery?

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I really like the canvas you chose for over the fireplace. I know you didn't ask about framing, but I do think it needs a frame around it. You can always move the sconces out slightly on either side to allow a bit more room for a frame. Framing would really make the art stand out and enhance the "completed" look of the arrangement.

Your other print does look nice over your dresser. You could add some pretty decorative (antique!) plates on either side (and maybe on top), to finish it off.

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I like the new art! Very pretty, Many of the art pieces I buy are for just the same reason. I can imagine myself in them. :) I agree, a frame might be nice, but that can be expensive. Maybe a piece of iron over the picture that is the same color (black?) as the sconces to make the whole arrangement just a bit taller. That would kind of finish it off with the screen in front of the fireplace too IMHO.

{{!gwi}}

Maybe something like that, but thinner.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the compliments. I have thought about framing the canvas - and Boop your scroll idea may work as well. Yes, I can imagine myself in that art - back in the day --- I just wish my camera didn't wash out the colors as it does.
    I also painted the frames of the two prints next to the fireplace between the chair and the desk. I thought the black was way too harsh, so I mixed a bunch of colors together from what I had in the basement and it is much more pleasing now.
    I think I am finally starting to "get it". I knew when I bought the first picture that it wasn't right - it didn't feel right, but I couldn't figure out why. My decorator explained why it wasn't right and we even brought in a print from another room and I still didn't get it. When I went shopping Friday and took fabrics with me, it started to make sense. I don't know why it is so hard for me -- didn't get the decorating gene. They say left-brain, right-brain - I have a math degree, so whatever side is cut and dry, black and white is what I have.
    Thanks again to all who responded to my post. I have printed this out and have reread one several times. I hope I can continue from here (of course, with the help of the great people here who give so generously of their time and talent). Thank you!