SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjwatson_gw

Orchid books

cjwatson
16 years ago

Since it was suggested (I believe it was directed to me specifically but perhaps not) that I (we) need to keep our orchid libraries more up to date, I am going to ask for help as to what books I need to buy -- or even better, to ask for for Christmas. I would really love to specifically hear from that one poster who keeps her library so up to date; a list of which books she has and which books I should purchase.

These are the books I have on orchids:

Ames - Orchids of Guatemala & Belize

Bechtel, Cribb - Manual of Cultivated Orchid Species

Birk, Lance A - The Paphiopedilum Grower's Manual

Botanica - Botanica's Orchids

Christenson, Eric - Phalaenopsis, A Monograph

Cootes, Jim - The Orchids of the Philippines

Correll, Donovan - Native Orchids North America, North of Mexico

Diaz, Marta - Las Orquideas Nativas de Cuba

Dressler, Robert - Genus Encyclia in Mexico

Dunsterville, GCK - Orchid Hunting in the Lost World

Dunsterville, GCK - Orchids of Venezuela Field Guide (3 vol)

Fowlie, J.A. - Encyclia of the Brazilian Shield

Fowlie, J.A. - Brazilian Bifoliate Cattleyas

Halbinger, Federico - Laelias de Mexico

Hamer, Fritz - Las Orquideas de El Salvador (2 vol)

Holst, Arthur - The World of Catasetums

Kijima, Takashi - Orchids, Wonders of Nature

Kramer, Jack - Orchids, Flowers Of Romance And Mystery

La Croix, Isobyl & Eric - African Orchids

Miranda, Francisco - Orquideas da Amazonia Brasileira

Moir, W.W. Goodale - Laeliinae Intergenerics

Montes de Oca - Hummingbirds and Orchids of Mexico

Pabst & Dungs - Orchidaceae Brasilienses Vol II

Pridgeon, Alec - Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids

Silvera, Gaspar - Cultive de Orquideas en Climas Tropicales

Simon - Private Lives of Orchids

Soon, Teoh Eng - Orchids of Asia

Stewart, Joyce - Angraecoid Orchids

Stewart, Joyce - Orchids of Tropical Africa

Stewart, Joyce, et al - Wild Orchids of Southern Africa

Vaddhanaphuti, Nantiya - Field Guide to Wild Orchids of Thailand

Wiard, Leon - An Introduction to the Orchids of Mexico

Williams, L.O. - Orchidaceae of Mexico

Williams, Louis - Orchids of Panama

Withner, Carl - Cattleyas & Their Relatives Vol III, Schomburghkia

Withner, Carl - Cattleyas & Their Relatives Vol VII, Debatable Epi

Withner, Carl - Cattleyas & Their Relatives Vol V, Brassavola, Enc

Withner, Carl - Cattleyas & Their Relatives Vol. IV, Bahamian

Withner, Carl - Cattleyas & Their Relatives Vol VI, S. Am Encyclia

Withner, Carl - Cattleyas & Their Relatives Vol I Cattleyas

Withner, Carl - Cattleyas & Their Relatives Vol II, Laelias

Comments (28)

• highjack
    16 years ago

cj if you ever want to feel like you have won the lottery, sell me your VII, Laelias by Withner. My husband can't find this for sale for any amount!

I must admit I don't have Ortho, Taylor or Orchids for Dummies books, but they are on my list. My current list of books -

Flora's Orchids - Nash & LaCroix
    Angraecoid - Stewart
    Illustrated Orchids - Pridgen
    Orchid Species Culture - The Bakers
    Dendrobiums and Relatives - Lavarcick-Harris-Stacker
    Understanding Orchids - Cullina
    Four Seasons of Orchids - Allikas-Nash
    Phal. Orchids - Noble
    Ultimate Orchid - Sheehan
    Orchids - Arnold
    Masdevallias - Gerritsen - Parsons
    Orchids - Marshall
    Private Lives of Orchids - Simon
    Paphiopedilum Growers Manuel - Birk
    Pictorial Encyclopedia of Oncidium - Chase
    Classic Cattleya - Chadwick
    Catts & Relatives - Epi - Withner - Harding
    Catts & Relatives - Enc - Withner
    Catts & Relatives - Schrombergia, etc. - Withner
    Cattleya & Relatives - Withner
    American Cattleya - Hackney

We also receive the magazines Orchids (AOS) Orchid Digest and Orchid Review (RHS). We don't have a shortage of reading material here.

Brooke

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brooke, you have a lot that I don't have and am curious about.

Which of the Baker's Orchid Culture books do you have and what do you think about it?

What about the Dendrobium & Relatives? Is it more about hybrids or does it really get into the species, even less-common species?

If you watch Ebay carefully, the Withner Laelia book occasionally turns up. Back during last summer, I managed to win a second complete 6-vol set of Withner's books in like-new condition. But I do already have an orchid friend in line if I decide to sell the extra set. The books do turn up, even the popular Laelia one. But if you don't have access to a copy, I will be glad to scan any species you want to read up on.

• Related Discussions

$2.00 Oncidium 'hybrida' - Long post

Q

Comments (9)
    There was a tag, Jane - it declares the plant to be Oncidium "hybrida", and "dancing lady orchid"...which I assumed to be a hybrid of unknown origin, though if you want to give your name, address, and home phone number to the Lowes site, it says you can look there for more information (since I don't care to be on thier calling list, I'll pass on that). If I'm wrong, and O. hybrida is the actual cultivar name, then that's what it is. It won't be going outside - my houseplants do not summer outdoors, simply because every single one who has spent the summer outside has been a pain in the butt to "debug" come fall if they make it through the long, hot summer with the little water I remember to give them when they're out there, out of site most of the time. I've lost some of my favorite plants that way, and I'd rather they stay healthy and safe inside, where I am less apt to forget important things like watering, etc. And there's the added bonus that if they stay inside, they don't lose thier spot in the house by fall - I don't do well with a house devoid of plants all summer, and tend to buy more to fill the "empty spots" if things migrate outside. ;-) Today it's raining, with up to 18 inches of snow predicted by tomorrow evening (100% chance of snow period). So where the orchid is at, right up against the window, it will be quite cool for the next week or so up towards the leaves (the roots will stay slightly warmer due to the aquarium), and warmer when things warm up again. So the temp will fluctuate there...and next winter, it will be cooler in the window again. I think for the time being though, it will stay put, and I'll see how it does. I've only had it 5 days now...not much time to adjust to it's new surroundings. I just switched computers last weekend, and haven't gotten the drivers re-installed for my web cam yet. But as soon as I get that done, I'll post a picture of this Oncidium, and you can all have a gander at my $2.00 find in it's new home. :-)
    ...See More

what orchid book should i get

Q

Comments (4)
    I also like Taylors Guide to Orchids. Also take a look at Understanding Orchids by William Cullina. I use that one a lot also. I bought both used on line at Amazon.com. You can get them used at a real good price and as long as you pay attention to the condition of the book they should also be in good "like new" condition.
    ...See More

Frowine's Miniature Orchids book

Q

Comments (5)
    I bought Frownie's book and I am satisfied with it. It's great to have a small survey of mini orchids like this on hand in book form. My only concern with the book is that some of the "miniatures" are not so miniature. The fact that many in Frownie's book are merely "compact" though does not take away from the nicely represented dwarf and miniature sized orchids in the book. The photography is excellent. I still think a book that limited itself to the truly miniature would be interesting. Mike
    ...See More

Have orchid books

Q

Comments (0)
    I have the following: 1. Orchids As Houseplants by Rebecca Tyson Northern 2nd Revised Edition 2. Orchids of the Northeast, A Field Guide by William K. Chapman 3. Simon & Schuster's Guide To Orchids All in excellent to very good condition... looking for named daylilies (no yellows or oranges) or other named plants on my list, it has been updated recently. Thanks.
    ...See More
  • highjack
    16 years ago

The Baker book is Orchid Species Culture - Oncidium and Odontoglossum Alliance by Margaret L. Baker & Charles O. Baker and yes, it is exceptional for that family. Basically anything you want to know about each species.No purdy pictures though, just pure facts.

Dendrobium and Its Relatives is all species and a GREAT book. We just got a Den. Roy Tokunaga which is two species. atroviolacea x johnsoniae (hope I have the spelling correct) so I could look up the info and decide how to grow this one. Lots of purdy pictures but all info on regions, altitudes, rainfall, wet/dry etc. I highly recommend the book.

I see you don't have the Chadwick or Hackney books on catts. Both of these are excellent books. The Chadwick book is a compilation of articles he wrote for the AOS and gives an excellent history of the catts and Brazilian catts. Great reading.

The Hackney book is only available from Orchid Books and it explains the early hybridization of catts of who did it, why they did it, why it worked, why it didn't. Great reading.

I want the Christenson and Fowlie books from your list. I will watch Ebay for the missing Withner book. My husband really wants it. Somehow there is a way to sign up on Ebay to watch for certain things, so will do that. Thanks for the offer to scan - if you PO your friend, let me know:>)

Brooke

• arthurm
    16 years ago

I have a large number of orchid books but like everything else around here there is no list.....

How about Bulbophyllums and their Allies. A growers guide by Emily S. Siegerist
    AND
    A Very Victorian Passion - The Orchid Paintings of John Day. By Phillip Cribb & Michael Tibbs. I suspect this book in pristine condition cost megabucks, but beautiful illustrations and interesting text.

The books to avoid are those coffee table types. All pictures and no worthwhile text.

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

CJ: That Christensen book on Phalaenopsis is on my list for the next time I have $130 for a book :)

Well, my list is meager in comparison, and mine are just hobbyist books. But then I'm not a Botanist, and I haven't been growing orchids for 40 years.

Besides, I thought the average person needed some representation here!

On the plus side, tho, most were written after the 1960's. Hope they are up-to-date enough for the critics:

Gordon Culture of the Phalaenopsis Orchid, 1990
    Hackney American Cattleyas 2004
    Jaworski Orchids Simplified 1992
    Kramer Growing Orchid Hybrids Indoors 1985

McDonald 100 Orchids for the American Gardener 1998
    Pridgeon Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids 1985

Taylor's Guide to Orchids 1996 (bought because someone here recommended it a few years ago. I only recently learned here that it's *The* Orchid Bible among uptodate scholars)

Withner Cattleyas and their Relatives: 1998-2000
    Vol. I. Cattleyas
    II. Laelias
    V. Brassavolas...and other genera of Mexico
    VI. South American Encyclias

Van Patten Gardening Indoors with H.I.D. Lights 1997

My Ortho book was given away long ago.

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Arthur. Cribb had also published another orchid art book, "The Forgotten Orchids of Alexandre Brun" which is a lovely book but for some reason turns up very cheap at Ebay and on used book databases like ABE.

I haven't bought the Chadwick book because all his old AOS articles are available at the Chadwick Orchids website. I printed them out and stuck them in a binder long before he published his book. I'm cheap.

mehitabel, do you think the Taylor's book would be repetitious for me to purchase, or is it loaded with really good information about lots of species?

Gotta go hunting the Dendrobium book now ...

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

CJ, I think it's not your speed.

There is some "how to grow orchids" stuff at the beginning. Then, the orchid species.

Starting with "A's" sometimes mentioned here:

Angaecum: specific mention and pictures of three, with one paragraph, app 100 words or less of how to grow.

Encyclia: one of your faves: pictures of three, and one paragraph, app 50 words. No mention of special needs of any.

Oncidium: pictures and descriptions of four species and four hybrids. Less than 170 words on How to Grow, which includes about half devoted to Tolumnia.

You get the picture.

• jamcm
    16 years ago

I LOVE the Bakers' Dendrobium book -- basically, it contains all the Dendrobium species culture sheets that are available for pretty much a buck a pop on their website.

If you're into Dendrobiums, I'd actually recommend Lavarack and company's "Dendrobium and Its Relatives". It presents a short paragraph or two on hundreds of species, separated into families (the Index is very useful), and includes a picture which we all know is worth a thousand words. It's also more affordable and more readily available than the Bakers' book.

Julie

• jemsta
    16 years ago

Brooke, your husband should try AbeBooks. They seem to have a copy. Btw, I would recommend this site to everyone who likes out of print and collectible books or if you're the kind of person that likes to browse through used book stores.

• tee530
    16 years ago

No list, but the ones off the top of my head that I like a lot:

Hawkes; Encyclopedia of Cultivated Orchid Species
    Pridgeon; Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids
    Simon & Schuster's Guide to Orchids [you laugh; but this is a really nice pocket guide to species with great photos]
    Cullina; Understanding Orchids
    Cribb; Genus Cypripedium
    Averyanov & Cribb; Slipper Orchids of Vietnam
    Reinikka; History of the Orchid
    Lavarack et al; Dendrobium & Its Relatives
    Northen; Home Orchid Growing 3rd ed

The Lavarack book is nice; not as complete as the Wood tome, but more useful. Ex: D. unicum is in Lavarack, but not the related D. lamiyae [sp?]

Cullina book gets my vote for best general orchid growing manual, with the most useful, hands-on advice on the species covered that I've seen.

The Cribb and Averyanov books are more specialized, but beautifully done and you won't find the information elsewhere. Unfortunately, both are out of print and difficult to pick up at a reasonable price.

Next book purchase will probably be the Stewart Angraecoid book, and I'd love to find the Hillerman compendium but doubt I will at an affordable price. Looking forward to the reviews on the new Koopowitz slipper orchid book due out in January.

• orchidsnyc
    16 years ago

$130 - holy carp! Did the Christenson book go out of print? It's good, but it's absolutely not worth $130!!

• sweetcicely
    16 years ago

Christenson Phal Monograph ~ $70 and up. Booksellers read the
    boards, too, you know...

Sweetcicely

• highjack
    16 years ago

Exciting news at my house. My husband finally found the Winther, Vol. II Laelia book. He's now trying to decide if he needs to go ahead and get all of them to make a complete set even though our interest doesn't go there.

My husband is looking forward to the Koopowitz book too. I'm interested on a review on the Frownie(?) Book on Minis - does anyone have it.

Thanks jemsta, I've marked the website you recommended.

Brooke

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Orchid Digest had put out special editions over the years which are still available from them, prices include shipping I believe. Some are highly informative booklets, others are books, all by well-known orchid experts. Interestingly, they turn up used on Ebay and on book databases like ABE, often for far more that you can buy it new.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid Digest special editions

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link to the Orchid Digests, CJ.

For anyone who is thinking about one or more of these:

I have the Phalaenopsis issue of the Digest. It was good coverage, I thought. In addition to the expected cultural notes, there were many references including one for a book on artificial light for phals.

Another article covered all the then-known species, with several paragraphs on each species, their characteristics and notes on characteristics they impart to offspring.

The pictures of course were fabulous, and there were lots and lots and lots of them, including all the species.

It was a real find for me, a very rich resource.

• orchidsnyc
    16 years ago

Re the phals book. Sheesh, it only came out a few years ago for like $35 MSRP. Gotta love it... but then when people pay those prices, that's what's gonna happen. If it's that popular, I'm surprised Timber hasn't reprinted it, I thought they were big on reprinting popular titles like the woefully out of date Pridgeon book. (No flames please, Pridgeon himself is itching to re-edit, or so he's said in print.) If poeple are willing to pay that much, they'd scarf 'em up at say $45...

• orchidsnyc
    16 years ago

PS: With all due respect to EC, it's really not worth it unless you're dying to have a taxonomic treatise on the genus. It's got a few nice pics, but mostly lots of so-so ones, prety much all small, and there's pretty much zip for cultural information. It's not at all a growers' guide. If you're looking for that, try the Bakers' book - that has no pics at all but is chock full of culture info and used to be fairly cheap second-hand.

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree with nyc that Christenson's book is more technical, with plant description and botanical history of each species. Not much by way of species-specific cultural information, but he does give the countries of origin and the range of altitude they grow at. That's what I need to replicate the habitat, so this book works well for me. There is a full chapter on Cultivation which goes into the most up-to-date cultural aspects of growing Phals; he does a very good job here. But it doesn't say: "this (specific) species needs this type of pot with this medium and keep in a SE window, water on Wednesdays and Sundays," etc. It's not that kind of book.

I think the photos are very good, with often several for each species including the various forms and color variations, as well as plant shots for many of them. Most of the photos are at least the size of the flowers and some are quite larger. Full-page shots would add a huge number of extra pages (and expense) to the book, which would probably result in far less photos of each species. If you are looking for a coffee table picture book, this is not it.

I bought my copy new during this past summer from Amazon.com for about $30, before they sold out. The one thing always true with good orchid books is that the minute they sell out, the prices skyrocket. Since orchid growers are a fairly small purchasing group, most orchid books never go into a 2nd edition. I try to make a point of buying them before that happens rather than putting it off until it is too late (and too expensive). Still, I've missed the boat on some and continually browse the book databases and Ebay in hopes of finding them at a palatable price.

• highjack
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas to me, from me. I just purchased the Eric Christenson Phal. book for a mere $56.00. A good friend, shall we call them an enabler, sent me a link and today was my lucky day. The only other books available at this time carried a price tag of $140 and $225 - the one IS autographed by the author BUT!!!!! I can't wait to add it to my library of orchid books.

Brooke

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

Alright, I'll jump in on this bandwagon. This is my library of orchid books:

An Introduction to the Cultivated Angraecoid Orchids of Madagascar, by Hillerman & Holst

Angraecoid Orchids, by Stewart, et. al.

Orchids of Africa, by Stewart & Hennessy

Orchids of Kenya, by Stewart and Campbell

Orchids of Malawi, by Morris

African Orchids in the Wild and in Cultivation, by LeCroix

A Culture Manual for Aerangis Orchid Growers, by Hillerman

Orchids of Tropical Africa, be Stewart and Campbell

A Culture Manual for Angraecoid Orchid Growers, by Hillerman

I've also got Botanica's Orchids, Miniature Orchids by Northern, Pridgeon's Encyclopedia, Growing Orchids by the Ritterhausens, and a few others I picked up cheap from Amazon.

My advice is to go to Amazon books, type in "orchids" then arrange the results by price. You may be amazed what you can pick up for less than a penny a page. I got two or three nice books where the postage cost more than the actual book! You probably won't find Hillerman that way...but definitely nice coffee table books, etc.
    -MB

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mike, you seem to be a bit top-heavy on Ang books. Any particular reason why? (grin)

Congrats, Brooke, on your new Phal book!!

• highjack
    16 years ago

Thanks cj! I'm thrilled with the purchase. It has been on my list for sometime and my enabling friend gave me a nudge and it is being shipped today. Just like with orchids on my wish list, my book wish list keeps getting longer, not shorter.

I agree with the recommendations on the issues of Orchid Digest focused on one family of 'chids. My husband ordered the catt, phrag, paph and epi issues and they are super. Somehow, he missed the phal issue! How could that be? Their lastest spotlight issue was on lycaste and well worth the subscription rate for the year - very informative.

He is already on the pre-order list for the Koopowitz book and I'll make sure he gets on the list for the Frowlie phal book too. It sure is cheaper to buy them when new rather than search for out of print books.

Brooke

• picotee_sofl
    16 years ago

Great thread, CJ. Your collection has me drooling. My list:

Allikas, Nash- Orchids
    Allikas, Nash- World's Most Beautiful Orchids
    Black, Peter McKenzie- Orchid Growing
    Grove, David L.- Vandas & Ascocendas
    Kramer, Jack- 100 Orchids For Florida
    Kramer, Jack- Orchids For The South
    La Croix, Isobyl- Orchid Basics
    Light Marilyn- Growing Orchids in the Caribbean
    McDonald, Elvin- 100 Orchids For The American Gardener
    Mee, Margaret- In Search of Flowers of the Amazon Forests
    Motes, Martin- Vandas, Their Botany, History & Culture
    Noble, Mary- You Can Grow Cattleyas
    Noble, Mary- You Can Grow Orchids
    Noble, Mary- You Can Grow Phalaenopsis, Revised Edition
    Northen, Rebecca Tyson- Home Orchid Growing, 4th Edition
    Northen, Rebecca Tyson- Miniature Orchids and How To Grow Them
    Northen, Rebecca Tyson - Orchids as House Plants
    Orchid Society Of South East Asia- Orchid Growing In The Tropics
    Pridgeon, Alec- Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids
    Rittershausen, Wilma- Orchids
    Rittershausen, Wilma- Success With Orchids
    Schoser, Gustavo- Orchid Growing Basics
    Sheehan, Thomas- Ultimate Orchid
    Soon, Teoh Eng- Orchids of Asia
    South Florida Orchid Society Presents- An Introduction To Orchids: A Guide to the Growing & Breeding of Orchids
    South Florida Orchid Society Presents- A"Guide To Growing In The Subtropics, 3rd Edition
    Starosta & Paul- Orchids
    White, Judy- Taylor's Guide To Orchids
    Withner, Carl L -Cattleyas And Their Relatives Vol 1

Plus Ortho, Sunset, a sagging shelf containing back years of AOS bulletins (even after donating many to our OS) and a treasured Jones & Scully catalog. :>) I hope to add the remainder of Wither's Cattleya volumns to my shelf soon. And Oh! to have the Fowlie's. Sigh.

Marci

• stitzelweller
    16 years ago

I really enjoy my small home orchid library. Most of my several volumes were listed in previous posts. I also have a 15 year stretch of the AOS Bulletin.

Last night, I attended one of my local orchid societies. This one has a loaning library.

I returned Withner's book on Bifoliate Brasilian Cattleyas and checked out Orchidaceae Brasilienses by Pabst & Dungs. I am certain to make a few photocopies of identifying plates from Pabst & Dungs. What a reference!

I also borrowed one that I had never seen before, The Astonishing Stanhopeas by Barney Greer (1998). I already learned a key cultural point to help me (hopefully) flower my Stanhopea insignis, now five years w/o flowers.

The $20 annual membership is worth the access to the library alone! For those who have the opportunity, I heartily recommend joining a group!

--Stitz--

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marci,
    What do you think of Motes' Vanda book? Is the emphasis on species or on hybrids? Habitat information? I try to keep away from the cooler growing Vanda species since they don't like my hot summers.

And the Grove "Vandas & Ascocendas" book?

• picotee_sofl
    16 years ago

CJ,
    I found both books to be very in-depth. Each cover species & hybrids and provide environmental and cultural information. I am glad to have them both.

I try to stay away from all cool-growers. They don't like my hot summers and winters. Sometimes I don't, either. LOL

• richardol
    16 years ago

I got out my copy of Masdevallias - Gerritsen & Parsons to re-read after seeing it listed above. It is very much an in-depth book with 100+ pages before getting to flower pictures in any number.

This is not to be taken as a criticism. I am saying, tho, that if you want a coffee table book or a book for someone who is not growing Masdevallia species this may not be the right book.

I do grow them and they are an expanding part of my collection. I have not seen another book devoted to Masdevallia that gives the level of detail that this one does, written in language that can be understood by a hobbyist.

• highjack
    16 years ago

Santa arrived today. I received my Eric Christenson book via the mailwoman. I won it Thursday night on Ebay and received it today. Santa is on the ball. I flipped through it and know I will love it but I promised myself to not start reading it tonight since it is a Christmas present.

Hopefully another learning tool to help me tweak my growing of phals.

Brooke

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor