SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

$2.00 Oncidium 'hybrida' - Long post

17 years ago

Greetings! And thank you for the wonderful FAQ you have available. That helped me a lot, as well as reading through past posts. I found a mature Oncidium hybrid at Lowes this weekend for $2.00, and have been scouring the net to figure out whether it was that cheap due to disease or just because it's not flowering. The majority of the leaves have small black spots on them, but they don't go all the way through to the bottom of the leaf, and from looking at pictures and reading a lot, I've come to the assumption that they are fairly normal for this type of orchid, and since the roots, pseudobulbs, and new leaves look fine, it should correct itself with proper culture. I hope that's the case, anyways.

It's been quite a few years since I've had orchids - a couple dendrobiums, a miltonia and a catt. that I killed through neglect (I'm not proud of it, but "life" kind of killed a lot of my more "exotic" houseplants during that time). I haven't tried again with them since, but when I saw this one for $2, I figured, what the heck? I have a good orchid book, and didn't do too badly with them before...

Anyways, I've repotted this one into bark (the roots were just wrapped in sphagnum in a plastic pot - looked a little "waterlogged" to me), and the leaves (which were a little droopy) were standing up better by nightfall after repotting. I have an orchid pot (glazed ceramic with cut outs all along the sides and bottom) that I put it in, on a plate with the moss all around it (but not up the sides) for extra humidity. It's currently on my dining room table getting light from both the west and south windows there (it's about 4 ft from each window, and the southern light is shaded somewhat). It should get sun for around 4 hours daily there. I've watered it every day for the past couple mornings, but I think every other morning or every third morning should work fine...the air is rather dry up here (Montana), so the bark does dry out fairly quickly. From what I've read, these like to dry out a bit between waterings, but not completely bone dry. If that's wrong, please correct me.

I'll get some orchid fertilizer, and I plan on using aquarium water every other week or so and the orchid fert. the opposite weeks. Everything I've read sayd to fertilize about once per week. The aquarium water will be higher in nitrogen, so I'll get orchid fert. higher in potassium for potential blooms...I think that's what I read to do, anyways.

I'm wondering about the light exposure. My orchid book says that an east window is best (no direct sunlight), and everything I've read online says east, west or south windows are good. Is it okay to just keep an eye on it, and move it if the leaves start to fade from too much sun? Or would it be better to grow it with no direct sunlight at all, and move it to an east window now? Does anyone here grow these orchids in a northern zone (3-5), who might know which light exposure would be better up here?

I'm also curious about temperature changes. I have to keep my house at 70 degrees in fall/winter/spring (I have reptiles), and it goes up to around 74 in summer (with the A/C running). The temp might drop in that part of the house a little at night, because the western window has no treatments on it, but it wouldn't be much. Is this going to be detrimental to the bloom cycle of the plant? If I want to move it closer to a window, it will have to switch to an eastern exposure (very little direct sunlight, but still decent light). Any suggestions on that?

Thanks for bearing with me for such a long post...and thanks again for all the great information. With any luck, I'll take good care of this guy, and maybe get blooms one day!

Comments (9)