SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

Dreaded 'Damping-Off' ... A New Perspective

I've been on the sidelines for a while and now I am prompted to post with a request for assistance, since the manufacturer of the seed starting mix was quite useless ... but I'll get to that later.

I have two large trays of perennial and vegetable seeds that were started on Monday, Feb. 21, with great care taken to follow all directions as to moisture, spacing, etc. Today I see a white fuzz growing on the surface; I'm assuming it is a fungus, hoping it won't cause damping-off but not willing to wait for symptoms. A few seeds are just beginning to break the surface.

I know prevention is best, but is there any hope for these seedlings at this point? I have two commercially prepared, organic fungicides on hand and have calls in to the respective companies to see if they might be effective. I've also read that people have used hydrogen peroxide and chamomile tea (separately) with apparent success in preventing damping-off.

For starters, I've increased sunlight, soil temp and air circulation (removed the clear dome covers), and made sure there is no standing water in the base of the tray.

Now, on to the new perspective: My first call for help was to the manufacturer of the starting mix. I was advised that damping-off is a disease and is not caused by fungus ... that fungi, as a matter of fact, are actually benefical to plants. When I challenged this, and cited several university extension services to back me up, she finally did a little research and told me the problem was overwatering (I haven't watered at all since the initial moistening of the mix) and that I should incorporate sand or perlite into the mix (their so-called "perfect" medium) to improve drainage ... this after she'd been told that the seeds are beginning to germinate. At least they are sending a refund for the two bags of starting mix.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Diane

Comments (14)