SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Is this the dreaded Downy Mildew???

KnoxRose z7
8 years ago

Last year I started noticing these dark spots on several of my potted roses that are in my "yet to be planted pile" I assumed it was blackspot and continued on my way, but this year I am noticing more and more that they look different from what I know blackspot to look like. Also, I am seeing in several articles that DM starts on the topmost leaves, unlike BS, which usually starts on the bottom most leaves, and usually not until summer.

I have already found a nearby supplier of composted horse manure, which is what someone recommended for treading DM on another thread, (and if this isn't DM, I'm sure the roses will be happy to have it anyway) but I am worried that a few of my roses may be so badly infected that they may need to be tossed. For whatever reason the two Jude the obscure plants I have seem to be the worst off, even though they are on opposite sides of this potted plant area. Do you think this is DM? Or am I over reacting? What would your recommend course of action be?

Many thanks to everyone who replies!

Jude, with blotches all over his canes and leaves, yet still producing new growth.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting