SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satchitosan8b

Asking a different kind of q. Dread locks

satchitosan8b
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

An acquaintance of mine recently asked me about a month ago if I would be interested in working at a local upscale-ish restaurant. I told her I would think about it and get back to her. I just started my first semester at school and wanted to make sure I was adjusted in school before taking on a new job and I have never worked in a restaurant before.

Fast foward to a few days ago I tell my friend that works with the acquaintance that I never got back to her about the job. She quickly says, that she doesn't think they would hire me because I have dreadlocks! I was going to add that I had too much school work as a full time student for the job but when she put that out there... It got me thinking. I have dread locks, a septum piercing and a lip piercing. Why was my hair the issue here?

My dreadlocks are pretty new. They are clean, small, and tidy. Easily pulled into a bun like anyone else can do with loose hair. It is a common-ish style for black women. I understand the stigma associated with locs. Many people think they are not washable, I wash my hair every other day. We live in a small touristy town so I understand presentation but are dreadlocks really all that bad to those that don't lock their own hair?

Maybe I was more upset that the job was suggested and then put off of the table because of something as simple as my hair style.I have worked retail with long braids that many customers had mistaken for dreadlocks and complimented them. It also had me thinking about my future goals and education. I wonder what people see when the look at me. A menace to society? A rebel? Or maybe... maybe, a well adjusted person with goals and good intentions. I've met people with my piercings that have offered me jobs. Mostly retail and caregiving. I worked a retail job in town and she found me at printing shop. Do you have a bias towards dreadlocks or piercings? What we call "alternative" may be accepted as the norm in many other countries. My hair and piercings have significant meaning to me. My hair is a way of letting go and letting it be. My piercings are symbol of stages of life for me. What do you think? Should we let expression flow free or have everyone confrom to what others are comfortable with? How does this effect future generations? We are seeing more and more people working in jobs with the public that have tattoos and piercings. How do you feel being served by someone with these qualities? What, if it does... would make it uncomfortable for you?

Comments (51)

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I have zero problem with clean dreadlocks. If you are serving my food I would expect your hair to be tied back or put up if it's any longer than chin length, dreadlocks or no dreadlocks.

Piercings don't bother me even though I am not a fan of a lot of facial piercings. As long as you keep the jewelry understated for work and don't fidget with it, tongue it or drool or lisp it's all good.

Personality and general cleanliness are what matters. I'm more worried about what may be under some server's long nails than I am about dos or piercings. I've seen servers who are reluctant to pick up a bar towel to wipe tables because they feel the disinfectant solution will ruin their manicure. Those I worry about. You have to wonder about the crud that may be under those talons. LOL If I were a restaurant owner neat clean nails would be on my do list along with tied back/put up hair.

I'm a 65 year old woman BTW. I like creativity in young people as long as they are not just doing it to pose. At some point non conformity becomes conformity.

The only thing I can really go tsk-tsk (LOL) at is extreme gauging. It crosses the line into self mutilation to me.

satchitosan8b thanked wildchild2x2
  • Related Discussions

Colonoscopy - The Most Dreaded Medical Procedure!!..

Q

Comments (12)
    omg about choked when I saw this...unlike dave I waited till crisis mode, before rushing to the local hospital er at 3am!...my colon had finally rebelled and was scaring me to pieces! after being admitted, I was treated to a wonderful team of nurses but still was facing the dreaded decision... doc didn't give me a choice...as I hadn't had to eat since my dinner the night before, they made an apt for 7am the next day! about 2-3 pm I was given golightly product although unlike dave, mine was like being drowning in the ocean it was soooo salty tasting...the nurses gave me cups of crushed ice as if this would numb my taste buds, lol.. bright and early at 6 am was rolled down to the prep area...(out patient care) after hooking me up to yet another bag of saline, monitors, ect, was taken to the next room...after putting on oxygen, noticed the clock going around in circles, lol....that was the last thing I remember...they made necessary repairs, and finally was sent back up to my room...all I can say is just don't wait as long as I did....
    ...See More

CL Q: How much should I ask for this DR suite?

Q

Comments (18)
    If you want the absolute MAXIMUM amount of money in the SOONEST amount of time: I think you should list and sell the pieces individually (4 ads: table, sideboard, chairs and china) but mention in each ad that you have the matched set available. Include links to each ad in your craigslist posting (ask for help on what the html would be if needed). Do offer a discount for purchasing more than one item. Remove all the items on, around or under each piece. Clean each item thoroughly and clean the area around each item so the photos are spotless. (You can stage a FEW items in the china cabinet for looks only. Do NOT use all items in there currently). Include exact and ALL measurements of each piece in your listing. Take the best pictures you can in the best light. Take FAR more pictures than the 4 CL lets you post (zoom out, top, bottom, details, front, back, etc....). State in your listing that you can email additional photos if requested. Include all known info about items before posting.
    ...See More

I normally dread going to the store

Q

Comments (11)
    Glad you had a good trip to the store, buddy. I figure that one of the best stress-relievers around ... ... is a bit of humour, here and there (as long as it isn't aimed at somebody's ribs)!! Doesn't cost a penny - but it often brings a smile to someone's face, softens the whole face a bit ... and, just maybe, may make their day (or a part of it, at least). I find that, when I make some rather humourous comment to someone in a store or elsewhere in public (e.g. sometimes when I see someone checking out the candy counter ... or carrying a cup of coffee, I ask whether it may be true that that stuff is addictive - it usually beings a smile and an expression of agreement) usually they respond in kind, and seldom do I find someone make a grumpy response. I think that if I shared my home with someone, I'd be less inclined to talk to strangers when out and about. Have a blessed Christmas, everyone. ole joyful
    ...See More

Electronic / Keyless locks for a multipoint locking Jeld-Wen door

Q

Comments (100)
    UPDATE from JW support via email: Good morning Chad, My name is Michaeline, I am a supervisor in Customer Experience for JELD-WEN. Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and suggestions on how we can improve our product. JELD-WEN at this time does not offer smart lock or keyless entry options. I advise your best option would be to contact or visit the retailer you purchased your product from. They may be able to advise a smart lock or keyless entry system that would be compatible with your product. I understand you would like to connect over the phone. Please let me know a time and day that works best for you. I am in the Eastern Time Zone, my hours are 8-5 PM EST. Is -------------- the best number to contact you? Please feel free to use this email chain to contact me directly at any time in regards to this inquiry. Thank you, Michaeline Spencer I CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE SUPERVISOR JELD-WEN, Inc. Phone: 888-594-3578 Web: www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/support Email: customerserviceus@jeldwen.com Please consider the environment before printing this email MY RESPONSE: Yes, that is the correct number, I’ll be available whenever you call. So far I can’t recommend anything about your product or customer service, change my mind. Thanks, Chad I received a call from "Michaeline" @7:20AM CST today and she couldn't be more pompous or dismissive of any comment other than JW is infallible by not acknowledging there is any issue. Worst customer service experience I've ever had. This company is terrible and I hope they go bankrupt. I told her I would do everything in my power as a consumer make that so by steering others away from their proudly antiquated company. However, I learned from my reseller that Ashland Hardware Systems - https://www.ashlandhardware.com - makes their hardware so I may see what they say, but am expecting more of the same since their website isn't even HTTPS. I am pretty defeated at the moment.
    ...See More
  • satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am not soul searching. I was curious as to what others thought about different ways people present themselves. My friend isn't hiring staff, she just said it wouldn't work because of my dreadlocks. The job suggested was as a server and they do not wear caps. I am not upset, just a little confused how my hair became the issue suddenly. I thought my piercings would be the #1. I have not interviewed with anyone there. I want to if they can work with a students schedule! I am more puzzled as to how they came up with idea that my hair disqualifies me!

• satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I would not have a problem taking piercings out for work, I have always done it!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Remember, it is your friend's interpretation that you would not be hired because of your dreadlocks....or perhaps your friend's acquaintance doesn't like them. You can't question the motives of the restaurant people when you haven't even met them.

Personally, the facial piercings really bother me, make me a little queasy. I would have a hard time in close contact with someone adorned in such a manner, no matter how professional.

But I have always loved dreadlocks on men and women. I've seen them worn by all kinds of people in all kinds of professions.

satchitosan8b thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Bluebell66
    7 years ago

Do you really know that your hair is an issue? At this point it's just your friend speculating your hair might be a problem, right? Not the acquaintance who originally mentioned the job to you? Either way, if you want the job, contact the acquaintance and explore the opportunity.

Personally, I have no problem with dreadlocks or piercings and it wouldn't put me off to be served by someone who has them, whatever the style of restaurant.

satchitosan8b thanked Bluebell66
  • Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of piercings or tattoos. I still eat at places with waiters that would have those. Dreadlocks don't bother me so much as long as the people who have them appear to be clean and don't smell bad. I've heard a lot of negative comments from others regarding dreadlocks. Everyone has different standards for what they find acceptable. I do know some people who probably would not want a waiter with dreadlocks.

satchitosan8b thanked Adella Bedella
  • graywings123
    7 years ago

I have no problem with dreadlocks. When well done, they give the look of a very neat, clean, orderly person.

satchitosan8b thanked graywings123
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

As others said and in any circumstance, neat and clean hair of any style is one thing but facial piercings are quite another. Very inappropriate for a food server, in my view, and very personally off-putting in that setting. On a topic you haven't mentioned as relevant to you, I thick tattoos are hideous and never more so than on a female. The larger and more numerous, the more hideous.

satchitosan8b thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Cookie8
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, anything one has could be labelled as "inappropriate". This is usually due to their own ignorance and tendency to label. Even though the situation wasn't a follow through, I understand the curiosity for your question. Sorry, I don't really have an answer other than, dreads are fine to me. As are piercings, as you are young and it's of a more common place. I have let all mine "close" as at this stage in my life, can't be bothered with them.

If it's just an acquaintance I am guessing it's not worth addressing it with her. Sounds like more of a personal opinion on her part because she wouldn't have approached you if management had already made the comment about dreadlocks.

satchitosan8b thanked Cookie8
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

I rarely eat out. :0) Not a hobby of mine. People in general are a curiosity to me, the more unusual a person is in their presentation the more I want to be around you and get to know you. :0) But.....for the sake of making money......now there's another aspect of life that needs some serious consideration. If you spend your time making a six figure income gaming online...more power to you and your self expression.

When I envision a Wall Street mogul, I see Donald Trump.....would I try to look like Ivanka for a billion dollars....? (I'm sure there are lots of "outside the box" people who look terrible, ie Howard Hughes)

If you've set a goal for yourself, bigger than a server at a restaurant....and you don't fit the part....now you have to decide if your willing to fake it.

satchitosan8b thanked nicole___
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Certain establishments have a certain image that they want to maintain. It is their prerogative.

Maybe your friend took a good look at how the other workers appeared and realized your particular style wouldn't fit in?

Not everyone will get hired for every job they go out for. I wouldn't take this too personally.

How do you feel being served by someone with these qualities? What, if it does... would make it uncomfortable for you?

If I were to go to an upscale restaurant, I would expect to be served by traditional looking servers. No visible tattoos, piercing etc.

If I was going to a trendy place in the East Village, I would expect to be served by servers looking more cutting edge.

I personally have nothing against tattoos, but I find the whole sleeves distracting. I do not like the septum piercings, or they brows. They look painful to me!

That said, my youngest has a tattoo on her foot, and my oldest has a small nose ring. Baby steps for me!

satchitosan8b thanked eld6161
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

You're talking about two different people, right? The first is the aquaintance who asked if you'd be interested. The second is a friend who has no knowledge about the employer or their preferences and just made an out of the blue comment. Sounds like you put too much stock in what this friend said.

You should've gotten back to the acquaintance. I think that your failure to do so, out of courtesy, is much more reflective than your hair or piercings.

I am not meaning to sound mean...honestly. But, IMO, you should focus more on your actions rather that an off-hand comment from someone not involved.

satchitosan8b thanked Suzieque
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

None of it really bothers me. I'm a 57 year old white woman. DD had dreads after she graduated from high school and they were cute but stinky. I think you're getting worried about something that might or might not have happened. Good luck to you in school.

satchitosan8b thanked sleeperblues
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I don't have a problem with dreads either. They would be preferable to hair-hanging-in-the-face with the wearer constantly flipping it back out of their way.

Facial piercings are another thing entirely. They look painful and are upsetting to me, distracting me from an enjoyable food experience. They are not mainstream where I live. I know they should be no more distracting than my own pierced ears (one piecing per ear), but they simply are - particularly around the mouth or tongue. They look unsanitary to me.

I am a 60 year old white woman.

satchitosan8b thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • hounds_x_two
    7 years ago

I don't mind dreads, but facial piercings are off-putting to me, too.

satchitosan8b thanked hounds_x_two
  • FlamingO in AR
    7 years ago

Ditto hounds x two. Facial piercings bother me because I always wonder if the food service person just fiddled with one of them before picking up my plate. I'm not a germaphobe, but apparently I do have some limits, ha!

satchitosan8b thanked FlamingO in AR
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

Chatsitosan8b, I think that you're new to this forum, although I see that you've posted on other boards on Garden Web. Welcome! We're glad to have you here.

Looking forward to you coming back to this thread and responding.

I neglected to say what I feel about dreadlocks and facial piercings. Dreadlocks, if clean, don't bother me at all (same with regular hair - if it's clean, I don't care about the style). As far as facial piercings, I try to be progressive, but I have to say that I do think they're weird and they look dirty to me. I'm not saying they are, but that's the way they make me feel.

Once the facial piercings trend is over, it's going to be interesting to see all of the people with non-closing holes in their faces. Again, IMO.

• satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow. Thank you everyone for the insight. Just to clarify. My friend works with the person "acquaintance" (she has two jobs, one with friend and one at restaurant) who asked me if I would like to work at the restaurant. They really needed the help. My friend is the one who told me that she and acquaintance "talked" about it decided I would not be a good fit because of my hair.

watchmelol - Thanks for the comment. I can understand the extreme gauging thing. I have a small gauged ear on one side. When I see very large ones I'm shocked how far a lobe will go! I also thought hair would be tied back anyway. I thought a bun was pretty much standard.

Thank you rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 .

The acquaintance was the one to offer me the work directly in the first place and my hair/face has been the same. But you are correct, I guess the best way to find out is to ask the restaurants hiring staff if I really want the job!

I know better than to wear my piercings working at a restaurant. I used to work in a nursing home as a food server. Whenever l forgot to take the lip ring (which is really just a small stud) out I was quickly reminded by the residents that it was there and not in the nicest of ways. LOL.

I suppose that is another thing with piercings. Knowing when to remove or hide them. When applying for a job I always take out the piercings and would not wear them to work in a restaurant at all.

Thank you adellabedella_usaI that was my concern with my locks, that people think they smell or I am dirty because of them. Which is just totally untrue! There are stinky people with dreads and stinky people with loose hair. Lol

graywings123 I sectioned my hair to have small dreadlocks because I thought it would look more tidy and proffesional. I hope it is true because it would be really sad to cut my hair I can't find a job because of locks. :(

Elmer J Fudd (formerly S Whiplash) Thanks for the input. I don't have any tattoos surprisingly. LOL. Just a few piercings, which I agree, should be taken out while working in a upscale restaurant.

Cookie8 It does sound like the two were just talking about it and decided for me. She pretty much said "we were talking about that and we dont think they'll hire you because of your dreads" I immediately thought, why offer in the first place then? The locks didnt grow overnight. Lol

Thank you nicole___! I always tell my family that I am going to be one funny looking scientist. Lol. Because I don't really want to have to fake it. I might have to remove the jewelry anyway for experimental purposes. Haha.

• satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

eld6161 Thank you. Maybe I am just taking this a little too personally. If I really want to waitress while going to school, I guess the best option would be to go where I fit in! Like you said in certain places you kind of expect a certain look. A lot of people ask if my piercing hurts. Not after 10 years! Lol. I guess they look painful to a lot of people which I understand.

Suzieque no you dont sound mean at all. I think it is important to look at the role we play in the situations we are in. Friend and acquaintance work together. They are very good friends and acquaintance also works a 2nd job at the restaurant. A little confusing. Lol But friend and acquaintance talked about it and then decided I wouldnt be a fit. I will talk to the acquaintance just to clear it up. I think my feelings were just hurt because it was the first time someone has had a problem with my hair.

And thank you for the warm welcome Suzieque. It is interesring to hear that overall the piercings are least liked! I agree it will be quite interesting once it's decided they should go. I have had my piercings for 10 years now. They are just part of my face. I'll never forget my moms reaction to the septum. "That is UGLY!" hahaha

sleeperblues I agree. I think I need to step away from my feelings. Thank you for the well wishes. I am loving school!

littlebug zone 5 Missouri - Its good to hear again that dreadlocks aren't a problem. And FlamingO in AR I would probably be freaked our if I saw a server fiddling with face jewelry and then bringing me food. Ugh! I understand.

• ingeorgia
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, dreadlocks and piercings will put a lot of people off. I think it would depend on the restaurant and the clientele. You said it is "up scale-ish" and I think that is the answer. Also,I have never seen clean and neat dreadlocks, if they are clean and neat then I would like them. We were in a restaurant and a white girl sat down at the next table. She had long hair in dreadlocks and it was messy and nasty looking. She wasn't a server and I lost my appetite. Blech. Have a cousin who has tattoos and had lots of piercings. He looked like a freak. He wanted to go into medicine and went to school for it but could not get hired. Surprise. He has since cleaned himself up and now has a job. A tattoo or two, okay. Piercings, ears for earrings are nice, anything else and I'm not a fan. Any time you are in a job where you come in contact with the public, you will have people who will be judgemental and sometimes vocal. It's usually the "up scale-ish" people too.

That said, I just have to wonder if your friend might not have wanted you to have the job. But then, I'm suspicious like that.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

I have seen LOTS of people with neat and clean dreadlocks and i like them, says a person with 'baby fine, no body' hair texture.

satchitosan8b thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

satchitosan, you sound like one very special young woman. I have a special place in my heart for student servers...I was one! The tips I was able to earn in my high profile restaurant put me through my first two years of college.

satchitosan8b thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • petra_gw
    7 years ago

I have been lucky enough to work with many different types of people and, as a result, have no aversion to dreadlocks or piercings or tattoos. Some of the kindest people I've met have one, or all, of the above. In the food service industry cleanliness is a primary concern and I don't see how dreadlocks or piercings would negatively impact that.

That said, it most likely depends on the clientele of the restaurant. If they are mainly mainstream/conservative and/or older, restaurant staff would probably be expected to conform to their idea of appropriate physical appearance. But putting your dreads in a bun and taking out piercing jewelry should really fill that requirement.

satchitosan8b thanked petra_gw
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

Please continue with us on this forum. Seems like yu have so much to offer and we are happy to have you here!

• lily316
    7 years ago

As an older white woman, I have nothing against dreadlocks. I was a hippy back in the day. If they are clean , I find them interesting and stylish. At the restaurants I eat at, dreadlock and facial piercings would not be a plus , and they would probably not even be hired in the first place. In the East Village or Soho, they would be a non-issue. Personally ,I don't like facial piercings, especially around the mouth. Ears, even belly buttons, are okay. Tattoos are okay if they are not large and gross. A tiny one here or there doesn't bother me but sleeves are stupid, IMO. I have none, my kids have none, but grandaughter has two tiny ones on her foot and bikini line. I think someday a tattoo irradiating business will be profitable, because what you may LOVE in your 20's , may look stupid when you're 70.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I wouldn't bat an eye about dreads, it's a hairstyle, nothing more as far as I'm concerned. The piercings, again, normally I wouldn't care, but in a restaurant I would.

But you've already indicated that you wouldn't wear them if working in a restaurant. But that could also be restaurant dependent.

Yes, welcome and do stick around.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Satch -- I like dreads, and I've known several friends who wore them -- one did it for a two year dare and he enjoyed the look, and it was great on him. (I have lost track of others for reasons more related to geographic location than anything else.)

Piercings may be problematic in a restaurant, (but ear piercings are nearly always acceptable). Depends on whether Front of House or Back of House, AND on the type of restaurant -- edgy ones seem to be more accepting for Front of House. Assuming everything is tidy.

Personally, I have no problems being served by someone with dreads, piercings, or tattoos in whatever venue it happens to be in. In the hospital some years ago I was attended to by a nurse with a variety of (visible) piercings and an extreme Cindi Lauper hairdo. She was as professional as the rest, maybe more so than some.

Just curious, right now I have the Head Cold From Hell. Do people remove nasal piercings when their head and nasal passages are stuffed up?

I've always wanted a tattoo but could never decide what I wanted to live with -- I've done temporary henna body art instead.

PS - I'm 62, if age makes a difference in my perspective. And I may still find my tattoo... And I may add an extra hole into the standardly-accepted one-hole-per-ear thing.

satchitosan8b thanked artemis_ma
  • Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

From my perspective and experience, as the Gen Xers come into positions of power, what was once considered "alternative" becomes accepted and more normalized.

My friends and I have had many conversations about this. I'm a stay at home parent, my husband works IT, my closest circle of friends include health care workers and doctors, lawyers and business owners.

Almost every single one of us has piercings and/or tattoos. Several have "crazy" hair, usually in the form of unusual colors like pink, purple, etc.

We have all had to "conform" when we were younger but I am seeing more and more of them being able to show their colors, as it were.

Personally, I couldn't be happier.

satchitosan8b thanked Texas_Gem
  • satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For those thst think dreadlocks are a no-no, do you think you'd be likely to tip less if your server wore them? I found thise photo online. These locks are similar to mine, mine are just a little shorter.

I think she's beautiful!

Texas_Gem I have thought the same exact thing! Our town is really small and I would say pretty conservative. I have noticed a slight change since a lot of the older business owners are selling and the next generation is buying. Now if someone will open up the bowling alley again I'd be happy. Lol.

artemis_ma - Nice to hear someone actually likes the look! Did your friend keep the dreads after the two years?

That sounds like you got one cool nurse! I would never expect to see that in a hospital, I think it is awesome she got to keep her piercings in.

When I get really sick I take out the septum ring. It is really annoying when ya got the sniffles it just gets in the way and it's in a sensitive spot.

I hope you do find your tattoo! My grandmother got her toungue pierced for her 50th birthday! Lol. She has since removed it. I thought it was awesome.

blfenton - Thank you! Glad to hear it doesn't even cross your mind, it is just a hairstyle.

lily316 - I guess it is all about location. Which kind of sucks because again, I live in a small $$ tourist town and the businesses really cater to that more than to what the residents can afford. Thats getting off topic though. Lol

I know a lot of older people with tattoos, I don't think they grow less fond of them as they age. My grandmother has a humming bird on her shoulder and it does not look the same but I don't think she would ever get it removed. Tattoo removal is awesome though for all of the silly things some people get tattooed lol. I dont have any tattoos just because I have never found exactly what I wan't but it probably would not be visable.

• ingeorgia
    7 years ago

While I like them if they are neat and clean, I'm answering anyway :)) Even if the server has tats and piercings, it they give good service they get a good tip ! Now, if they do have messy dreads, lotsa piercings etc. I probably won't go back -to the restaurant because I find it un-appetizing. But that is MY problem. I understand that. I know how hard it is to work in a restaurant, so I always tip and usually tip well.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

A clerk at the grocery store always had to wear long sleeves. She had bangs and her hair was braided and she reminded me so much of Abby on NCIS. She has sleeve tattoos and she wasn't to be showing them. We liked her the best of all the clerks.

I remember years ago, a server at restaurant had quite the lisp and she got a recent tongue-piercing. She was telling us of the limitations and she couldn't drink hot liquids or do oral sex for a couple of weeks! TMI??

satchitosan8b thanked Jasdip
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

I agree that it is all about how neat and clean the hair looks. Doesn't really matter what the style is.

satchitosan8b thanked eld6161
  • aok27502
    7 years ago

Can I ask a potentially dumb question? Are your dreadlocks little tiny braids, or the ones that look more like giant wool yarn (mostly seen on men, I think.) I googled images and lots of things come up.

I like the small braids (dozens and dozens of them, how DO they do that??) I assume in a restaurant they'd have to be pulled back. Not a problem for me. I wouldn't mind the lip piercing, although the septum might be a bit off-putting. I have a beautiful niece who has a number of piercings and tattoos. The piercings are all small and feminine, and don't bother me a bit. Her tattoos don't show. She is studying nursing, and they have to be concealed.

Gauges creep me out. Sorry.

For the record, I am a 54 year old white woman. :)

satchitosan8b thanked aok27502
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

Thanks for asking AOK. I too was wondering if it were the thick corded dreads. The skinny ones look so nice, the thick ones, not so much!

ETA that I missed the picture up-thread. Those dreads look nice.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

Well, what do you all think of Coolio's look? :)

satchitosan8b thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

Hahahhaa. Isn't there an animated penguin that has feathers that look like that?? Happy Feet or some animated show. LOL

• aok27502
    7 years ago

Oh, I missed that photo upthread, too. Those are pretty!!

Coolio, not so much.

satchitosan8b thanked aok27502
  • satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

moonie_57 OH MY GOODNESS! I have no words! They look... Interesting? Haha. Definitely not a look I would be be rocking! That is just silly of him!

ingeorgia I'm don't think my friend would try to job block me. Maybe she was trying to save me from potential dissapointment or getting my hopes up. It's hard to know really. I'd feel silly applying to that place now though. Especially thinking the dreads are not really welcomed there. I think I will try at one of the more edgy places around here, but there aren't many. It is nice to hear it my not effect tips, but I would hate to drive customers away. I honestly try to be sensitive to others considering the piercings. I have had some people tell me they look painful while touching their own faces in the location of my piercings. It makes me feel like they are imagining how painful it is and that makes me feel bad. So I will filp my nose ring to hide it. Also, it's weird when people just stare at the shiny. Haha

rhizo_1 Thank you! I hope that I can find a restaurant around here to fit in with!

Jasdip WOW! What in the world are some people thinking?? I wouldn't want to eat after hearing that.

aok27502 Interesting you say that! I acutally started about a year and a half ago with over 200 long braids. It takes a very long time! I did it myself it took over two weeks! I loved the look and carefree style, but not taking them down and redoing them. So I decided to slowly take them down and create a lock for each braid I had. So I have over 200 dreadlocks! And I agree the larger wool yarn looking locks tend to not look as tidy. I think it's because they aren't as flexible.

Jasdip hahahaha! Is this what you were thinking? It's the penguin from Surf's Up! Lol!

• Abby Krug
    7 years ago

That is mighty beautiful hair you pictured Satchitosan8b! Nobody could object to that hairstyle in ANY setting- service for now or professionally later. Piercings bother me because they make me think they are painful. However I would never tip less because of them.

• susanjf_gw
    7 years ago

the small ones that are neatly out of your face, aren't bad...but whoopee's drive me crazy...we have one youngster at our sunday am breakfast place with dreds...he always looks neat and clean but he also only serves coffee...and he's about 15, lol...piercings esp in the nose I really don't care for...remind of what they do to make cattle more docile...

• satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

susanjf_gw Yes, Whoopi has quite a set, doesn't she!? When I was younger people would call me Whoopi when my hair looked out of control... Oh the scars. Lol. Interesting you mention cattle, a few days after I had the septum pierced an older man approached me and told me pretty much the same thing! But much harsher. Haha

Thank you Abby, mine are very simalar to the picture. I think it is beautiful too! My locks allow me to to do so much more with my hair now! I thought they would be more proffesional looking as well, compared to my old afro or the unnatural looking extensions I used to wear. I am pretty sensitive to the way others feel about my peircings. I feel like they sense the pain, but they don't hurt me at all. I take them out around people who express that. If my piercings get in the way of people seeing me for just me, without adornments, it's not a big deal to take them out. They can be a distraction sometimes I have noticed.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Having owned a hair salon, I love dreads and have no issues with tats or piercings but I think my husband said it right when he saw our beautiful granddaughter get a lip piercing. I was quiet but he told her that all he could see now when he looked at her was the piercing and most people respond the same. She immediately took it out and put it away. My other grand had a nose side piercing with a tiny diamond that I liked but being a banker she had to remove it in order to take a higher position. Sooo I'm thinking that working with food and having face piercings could bother some people and not others and the owners want no one to be bothered. Don't take it personally please.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

I saw that, Jas. Her school wasnt happy with the look.

• satchitosan8b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Interesting. I just read an article about the girl's hair and the school's problem with it. They were called dreadlocks in the article I read, but they are braids. :) It also appears that the stylist used waaaay to much extension hair, that has gotta be heavy and painful!

Yayagal - No worries! I asked for opinions and like to hear what everyone has to say. I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences. :)

• Rusty
    7 years ago

In my opinion, dreadlocks are no better or no worse than any other hairstyle, whether in a restaurant or any other place of business. It's the overall cleanliness and neatness that matters. And how well it suits the person wearing it, of course. Piercings affect me a bit differently. The fact that I am a 77 YO white great grandma probably has some bearing on that, I really don't care for them. Nose piercings always make me think of the hogs we raised on the farm I grew up on, they often had rings in their noses, not sure why, to keep them from rooting up their pen too much, I guess. Bulls were also often ringed, for control. And for the life of me, I can not look at a lip piercing without thinking of a fish that broke the line and got away with the hook. And yes, they do appear painful to me, too. :^O

Tipping is always about the service, which includes the server's general overall attitude and appearance. Manners, respectfulness, cleanliness, as well as efficiency. But I really don't expect to find facial piercings in a 'classy' place. Would I leave or not return because of them? Probably not.

Last, but not least, welcome, Satchitosan! Glad to have you here, and I've really enjoyed this thread! I do hope you will find a job you will enjoy and an employer who will appreciate you!

Rusty

satchitosan8b thanked Rusty
  • Kessala M
    7 years ago

Dreads wouldn't bother me, especially if they're styled neatly and not swaying over my plate of food. It's the septum piercings that bug me. You know, those piercings that look like nose rings in a bull. Any time I see someone wearing septum jewelry for the first nanosecond I can't help but "see" a snot bubble hanging from their nose. Then of course I realize I'm seeing jewelry but now the snot image is in my mind. Ick.

Kessala

• Cherryfizz
    7 years ago

I love dreadlocks, don't mind tattoos at all and piercings don't bother me for the most part unless they are extreme. haha they only bother me if I imagine how much pain they may have caused. I am sorry that your friends thought that you wouldn't be hired because of your hair or how you look. If my server had any of those things it would not bother me as long as the person was clean, neat and tidy. Times have changed. I don't know many young people that don't have tatts or piercings and they are all going to need jobs. When my niece was hired 20 years or so ago to work at a day care they made her cover up with a band aid a tiny sun and moon tattoo she had on her ankle. The kids asked more questions about the band aid on her foot and could not have cared less about that tattoo. I also have a nephew with sleeve tattoos on both arms, a few piercings. He was a manager in a grocery store and now a big name box store. My nephew is one the sweetest, nicest guys you would ever want to meet and would go out of his way to help any of the customers but I used to overhear some of the remarks that customers would make along the lines of why would anyone hire him, etc. There is so much more to a person than what they look like, and what decorations they wear or hair styles they have. A potential employer not hiring a person with any of these things might be losing the best employee they may have ever hired.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Hi - haven't read all the comments yet, but as to the original post, I immediately thought of people who say totally made up stuff w/ complete assurance. IOW, to put it crudely, they pull things out of their butts & present them as fact.

Might this be the case? I'm sorry it made you doubt yourself. As they say, consider the source.

& regardless of my own prejudices or preferences, can anyone have long dreadlocks & piercings - or tattoos, for that matter - & NOT expect that some people are going to react negatively to them? It would be good to keep that in mind when actually going for a job interview. It is fairly easy to find lists of job interview dos & don'ts on the internet these days. I know a good first is to research the place you want to work @.