SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamdoc_gw

Electronic / Keyless locks for a multipoint locking Jeld-Wen door

Adam F
7 years ago

Hi all - I am interested in keyless locks for my front door, but have a multi-point locking setup, and cannot pop in one of the standard keyless deadbolt options (Kevo, etc). Has anyone seen a keyless option for multipoint locking doors?

The doors are similar to these: http://www.jeld-wen.com/catalog/patio-doors/siteline/clad-wood/swinging

Thanks!

-Adam

Comments (100)

• Bruce Thompson
    3 years ago

Lewis Fletcher what Kind of door? Is it multi point lock

• jennifer321
    3 years ago

Anybody figure anything out since the last post? Having same issue over here - we installed Milgard patio doors and planned on using them as the main entrance to our guesthouse/studio. Looking for anything easier than the lock and key! We assumed a keyless entry would be no big deal but apparently we were wrong.

• Related Discussions

Windows - who did you go with?

Q

Comments (61)
    I looked at the Windsor Pinnacle Casement online and there was not enough information for me to take them seriously. I was not impressed with what little was offered which consisted of typical sales claims ("heavy duty extruded cladding" that appeared to be thin hollow extrusions) and a cut-away sample of a lower corner of a window that was impossible to understand since it was cut diagonally. Marvin provides scaled detail drawings in plan and section that can be downloaded.
    ...See More

Emtek lock sets

Q

Comments (7)
    Usually when I have had this problem in the past, with Emtek, Schlage, or any other lock set, it has not been a defective product, but a problem with proper installation. I presume that the hole was drilled with the correct setback from the door edge AND that the hole is drilled straight through (sometimes the installer does not use a jig to keep the hole at 90 degrees to the door face and being off several degrees can cause the lock to bind). You can only check this by removing the lock and putting a square at the hole edge; if it's significantly skewed, you may need to fix this if it's the cause of the problem. If the problem only occurs when the door is shut (i.e., the bolts move freely when the door is open), it means the strike plates are off and/or the weather-stripping is putting enough force on the bolts that they bind. The problem could also be with the threaded bolts on the inside face of the lockset that hold the lock together on the door: they could be too tight or unequally tight. As an experiment, back these bolts off a few turns and see if the sticking goes away; if it does, it means there is an alignment or tightness issue. You might also try slightly moving the lockset mechanism a little bit to make sure it's centered; there is usually a little play between the lockset and the hole. Then retighten the bolts equally, until they are firmly seated, but not insanely tight. Experiment with these ideas and see if it improves at all; then report back. This is one of those problems that can be caused by several things, so it's a little hard to give a guaranteed fix without being able to fiddle with it myself. Also, I hope you are somewhat handy, because it seems like this is a problem any experienced contractor should be able to solve, and I'm concerned that he's baffled.
    ...See More

french patio doors

Q

Comments (6)
    What did you decide? We have 2 Anderson french sliders and i love them! We have had them for 10 years and they slide like a dream. Nice heavy door and really blocks out the heat from the sun. One thing I like about the door is that you can lock it in a partially open position. Feels safe to keep open all night. It came unfinished, so I did have to stain it. Here is a picture of the one in our living room. Wood interior and prefinished white exterior. Ignore the happy Christmas kid ;) The bottom framing is slightly larger than the top.
    ...See More

Entry Door Automation - impossible!

Q

Comments (23)
    True multi point is not entirely climate dependent. But generally in a cold area, you want better ACH numbers. That maybe why your city requires it. At the beach, our climate or at least our wind codes require it on most doors. The issue is hurricane protection which I think can be lumped into climate. The next issue would be crime and kicking in doors. I am curious if people go to this for crime, do you also have bars on the windows? I understand that kicking in doors is a super common entry point but windows always seemed easier to me. For some folks here, multipoint is just expected and standard on 8 foot doors. I always suspect that they were north of the Mason Dixon line at least. Passive Houses even reach up to 7 point doors.
    ...See More
  • HU-791197258
    3 years ago

Hi I have a front door with a long solid handle and I need a key to open door, however if it shuts behind you accidentally you can get locked out, I need a smart lock with no handle just a small turn knob that will work with a UK multi lock door system, reading above doesn’t seem to be anything out there? Can anyone help thanks jon

• Carlton Bale
    3 years ago

HU-791197258: The Fuhr motorized multi-point lock I mentioned previously in this thread will work. It's complicated to install but does exactly what you are asking.

• spiff
    3 years ago

I'm using a front door with a long solid pull bar handle and no lever, just the knob similar to HU-791107258 for a multi-point lock. The smart lock I'm using is Danalock.com. Has that functionality, and similarly priced to August. It replaces the knob/key portion of the multi-point lock. Available in North America. Comes standard with bluetooth, but you can add a separate keypad and/or WIFI bridge as options.

• Nancy Baumann
    3 years ago

I spoke to Andersen today and Yale makes a keyless door lock for their Series 400 French doors.

Those of you who bought Jeld-Wen doors: 1) Are they fiberglass, wood or steel and 2) How would you rate them? Love them, Not so much, Hate them?

Thanks in advance.

• lennox saunders
    3 years ago

@Lusso Design (Entry Doors & Door Inserts),

I am waiting to see your outcome, I am also in Canada and just bought a house with Multilock. Definitely want to get something a little more fancy, especially with a smart lock.

Hurry and complete your lock :)

• PRO
    Lusso Design (Entry Doors & Door Inserts)
    3 years ago

Hey Everyone! Happy New Year!

Hopefully 2021 will treat everyone better than 2020(I mean the bar is set pretty low:))

Wanted to chime in quickly - after a few projects done - overall the solution that I've McGyver'ed together works quite well but I find Emtek deadbolt being extremely sensitive to back pressure and shooting off a "lock jammed" warning as soon as it senses any even tiniest back pressure. Had a couple of installs that went way-y too long just because of it. So looks like Ill be switching to using 4th gen August deadbolt instead - which essentially is the exact same idea, just the esthetics will be a bit different.

I have a couple of projects where Ill be using those in near future - Im probably going to shoot a quick video explaining the whole thing and put it on YouTube. Hope to have it done over next month and a half.

Have a great day! Stay safe!

Andrew

Lusso Design

• Rd
    3 years ago

Hello!

I was able to do this over the summer on a Marvin multi-point lock door and a new generation August Smart Lock. It's been working well for the past few months.

I can send some more detailed photos if anyone is interested, but basically I had to make an extended deadbolt adapter out of some steel rod, and the mounting plate was attached to the door plate using VELCRO Brand VEL-30643-USA ALFA-LOK 3in x 1in Strips Extreme Fasteners. That way I didn't have to screw into the door's original hardware at all, and this exact velcro is more than strong enough to ensure the lock doesn't twist from the torque of locking and unlocking.

If there's interest I'll take a better photo of the mounting plate and show the lock in action!

• Keith Collins
    3 years ago

Very interested in your solution. Headed down the Marvin path and prefer to keep the multipoint;

• Megan Wiegand
    3 years ago

I am also very interested in your Marvin solution. New construction and GC put the Marvin Ultimate exterior French door on the mudroom. We now find ourselves using that as our main entry and it’s the only door that needs a key. Real big pain!

• Caitlin Hawkins
    3 years ago

I looked at buying an Avia smart lock but it looks like from their compatibility test that it won’t work on my door because it opens out toward me rather than into the house. We have Western glass doors with three-point locks on all of the entrances to our house. any idea what might work?

• SK
    3 years ago

I’m in the same boat with our new door from Pella. When we made our choices with the architect and builder I didn’t realize how limited we’d be with the multipoint lock. Everyone sounds quite knowledgeable so forgive the basic question, but in theory if one found a multipoint smartlock could it just be switched for the non-smart one on the door? Or is there more to it in terms of the internal mechanics?

• jacksonkeller
    3 years ago

Keep the multipoint always unlocked and installed a magnetic shear lock concealed in the top rail and jamb or the side.

• Kalcium
    2 years ago

I spoke with Andersen today, they told me that you can use the Yale lock in a 400-series patio door, but that it will require manually tilting up the handle on the outside to lock it, then engaging the deadbolt.

If you get an A or E series door, then the lock can lock itself.

• Darren Foo
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have two types of multipoint locks at my house. Front door is from door company, keylock can lock seperately from multipoint latches. Rest of our doors are from window company and multipoint lock needs to be engaged (pull up on lever) to lock. I just installed danalock on one of the latter doors but had to order a european adjustable cylinder from gerda and zigbee danalock from europe in order to get the proper mounting plate. Both items I purchased on ebay. I chose zigbee over zwave because zwave in europe uses a different frequency than North America.

The gerda lock cylinder is better than the original cylinder too in that it doesnt keep spinning like the original cylinder did. Also it won’t spin past lock point if handle wasnt pulled up so i have status of whether door is actually locked or not.

• john1669
    2 years ago

@Rd would love to see more information on how you pulled-off adding an August to the Marvin door. How did you do the extended deadbolt adapter?

• Phil Day
    2 years ago

So I had the same question that the original post had but I think i understand i have to live with either mulitpoint or traditional. But here is my situation.... I purchased a set of used exterior doors that have a hoppe mulitpoint lock set which needs to be scraped and replaced. The doors are 96" tall and I have to trim the doors done a couple of inches. I'm trying to get all the parts to refurbish the doors but I am a little confused. Can I purchase the shoot bolts and the traveling extensions separately and trim them down in size or am I stuck with the hoppe one size fits all design (from what I can tell)? I found the Ultraloc 300 smart lock which appears to be a multipoint locking system but I don't see how it works with the other parts. I guess i"m pretty confused as to how I integrate all the parts and are there other brands other than Hoppe? Thanks in advance.

• Tracy Lawson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@rd I would like more information on the Marvin door also please.

• Rd
    2 years ago

@Tracy Lawson @john1669 What additional info would you like? Almost 2-years on and the lock still works very well. We put an August keypad on the outside which is great, plus the proximity controls of walking up to the house and having the door auto-unlock is pretty much flawless. One issue is in the winter the house shifts ever so slightly, so we have to let the August lock 'lock' the door before we lift the handle to engage the multi-point. Otherwise there is too much tension on the lock for the August lock to twist it completely. It's become standard practice now -- August locks the door by pushing the one-touch outside keypad button, then lift the handle. No keys necessary for entry or exit.

The bolt was lengthened by grinding a piece of steel bar down to shape / size.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Good morning Everyone

Just a quick spring 2022 update - as of right now I've got about 6-7 projects in the field that are over a year old and are using the August deadbolt combined with the Ferco GU leverset mechanism, Emtek leversets & a few extra parts and a custom bracket to hold the leverset on the door. Planning to get my own garage into house door done with this system as well to be able to monitor it closely but as of now, no complaints.

Overall this solution works although I would only be able to use it for my local projects since the installation is rather finicky and I would want to do it myself to make sure that everything is working well - I suppose it's proof of concept if anything - hopefully we will see a functioning smart lock system compatible with the multipoint system that would be easy to work with.

Also I can see local Ferco GU dealer offering a pretty neat set up with Dana lock which they can get set up right at the factory so if You are looking for a brand new door with multipoint and happen to be in GTA - You can enquire about it through Your door company (Ferco doesn;t sell to public but will work with door manufacturers)

I attached photos of both my own set up with August as well as Ferco one with Dana lock. Hope that it helps!

Best of luck with Your projects!

Andrew

Lusso Design

• spiff
    2 years ago

In case anyone has the same setup as me, I have a fiberglass front door with the 3 point multi-lock, long solid pull handles on both sides with no turning level to open the door. There is simply the knob on the inside that you rotate to open the door. This setup will lock you out of the house as soon as you close the door. As I mentioned before, I used the danalock and it requires no modifications and is the same process as installing an August lock meaning easy retrofit/DIY install. Been using it for the past 6 months with no issues at all.

• PRO
    2 years ago

@spiff

From what I know Dana lock should work well for the pullbar & deadbolt set up on Ferco GU mechanism. Do You have to give the door a slight pull to help the lock retract the bolts? - I find that when You pull the door a bit (from outside) - it'll minimize the back pressure from weather stripping and would allow the deadbolt to retract the latches even easier.

I just wish Dana had a nicer looking keypad:))

• gte157q
    2 years ago

has anyone tried / had success adding the August or Dana to a Therma-Tru door with the grip style multi point? https://learn.reeb.com/knowledge-base/multi-point-lock-options/#therma-tru this is what I have and I'm looking for any kind of keypad or smart solution. i don't really need it to be smart but I haven't seen any keypad options for something like this so I'm assuming I would need to go with August or Dana + add-on keypad, which I'm fine with

• Jeff
    last year

I’m in the same boat with the thermatru. I was thinking about looking into the Yale Conexis L1 only available in the UK. I didn’t think about how much of a pain this door would be.

• gte157q
    last year

@Jeff any luck? I hadn't heard of that one. guess one of us will have to blink first and try it :)

• Jeff
    last year

Nah, only looks like it's available on eBay. I'm wondering if it would work in the US in their app.

• spiff
    last year

@Lusso Design (Entry Doors & Door Inserts) Dana works great with the Ferco GU mechanism which is what I have. When I close the door, I do have to push it until the latches engage, but locking/un-locking are touch-free. I don't mind the keypad either....

• Carlton Bale
    last year

For anyone still following this topic and looking for a solution, you may want to check out the Ultion Nuki smart lock. It's focused on the UK market, but should work with any multipoint lock. https://www.ultion-lock.co.uk/ultion-nuki/

• PRO
    last year

@Carlton Bale I think, I;ve actually seen a variation of it - was just branded Nuki. There's a company, that I know here in Ontario, called Helt, that brings in doors from Germany & they had it on one of their doors - looked pretty sleek! Not sure of the availability/product support here in Canada, but definitely a potential option to be aware of.

• nancyperezrod
    last year
    last modified: last year

About 2 years ago I began looking to change my locks for a smart system. That’s when I began to read this conversation & have checked it often for updates for a solution to my Jeldwin Patio Door (French Door) Style Multilock Door.
    I believe the primary door is considered a shoot-bolt, having a bolt at the head & foot that go into the strike plate located at head jam & the sill. The primary door also has a deadbolt that goes into the shrike-plate on the other door and is operated by a thumbturn.

Not being able to wait for a solution for this door, I decided to go with Schlage Encode for my other doors and wait and revisit this site periodically until more advancements had been made on multi lock doors. in the last year I have loved having made my decision with Schlage Encode model for my other doors. It is very easy to manage on the Schlage App when I have to add visitors to my home, thus not having to give out a key.
    I have waited and waited for a way to also have a smart lock, preferably a Schlage Encode as well since it works great on the other doors I have. I prefer if I could stick with Schlage Encode for the french door so I could have manage all my doors on the Schlage App. Silly that I have to have my handymen & ocassional cleaners come in through the living room to use the schlage code when they could easily drive to the back & use the bigger French doors, except that I would need to leave them a key to the French Door, defeating the purpose of having installed a smart lock in the front door.
    I am curious to know if anyone has any solutions for this situation.

• vicarz
    last year

I. Feel. Your. Pain. I have this door (single version) and I'm shocked that I'm considering having it completely replaced with a "regular" door at the cost of thousands. I've also kept alerts in this thread and found none of the results helpful so far. The issue remains this bizarre need to lift the damn handle up to lock the door which prevents ALL auto-locks from working. I may ask if someone can just remove the entire lock and drill into the door and frame to make it a regular lock so we can use electronic interfaces.

Shame too as the 3 point lock could be ok and makes for a tight seal. Why they made this lift to lock system I can't imagine and I HATE it. Sorry if this isn't helpful - suffice to say you're not the only one with this issue. Maybe we should troll JELD-WEN's website or social media. Class action lawsuit?

• nancyperezrod
    last year

I have located a lock that will work.

i have then contacted Jelwin and Schlage since i am asking that they look at this lock and see how to consider it a possibility for Jeldwin future mortise and The Schlage lock company to see if they could consider making a Slim Smart lock for their Encode Model line.

below is part of their response:

You can email Schlage Commercial at Electronic_lock_TechProdSupport@allegion.com

and see if we have any Schlage Commercial keypad locks that would work on your multi-lock door.

Thanks for choosing Schlage and have a safe day!

Renae Ash

Residential Product Support Representative

Allegion/Schlage

i have now emailed Sclage commercial tech support with the link (at the end of this message) for the Slim Smart Lock from The Connectedshop. They seem to be very responsive and have a pretty good set up by where they show you HOW and WHAT to photograph from your existing doorhandle.

Their tech team look at your measurements and then reponds as to which size to order.

They responded to me within a day.

Their reviews seem to speak well of their tech team and their help when installing.

i think this lock is the answer. it will lock the lock and unlock the deadbolt on the door. basicalky, the door is locked at that point. you can then pull down the handle as you turn the handle to open and pull up closing the door as you leave.

https://theconnectedshop.com/collections/smart-door-locks/products/smart-door-lock-slim

i feel there is more and more of a demand for a solutuon to patio doors with slim smart locks.

if more people make this request of both Schlage both rssidential and commercial to make them aware of the need as well as the jeldvin door manufacturer, perhaps we could get them to look at teaming up or at least have Schlage creative team work on making a smart slim lock that could work like their Encode model

• PRO
    last year

@nancyperezrod Very interesting - reminds me of the Samsung locks that I;ve seen here available for order straight from Korea. I might just grab one to try it out. Looks like it;s mostly meant for euro cylinder type. Thank You for the info!

• Jeff Rosen
    last year

Samsung used to have a rather strongly worded caution about buying their locks in countries they do not have a market presence. Buying on EBAY or Amazon.... good luck if it craps out. No warranty. Same with other no-name products.

Patio doors have enough challenges just working well, and people are trying to use these low-cycle locks as a primary entry. Unfortunately, we see many issues in this approach. One lock featured above means you will be eliminating the 3 point locking, and switching to single point. This is adequate for a standard height door, but the more common 8' doors will warp without the top and bottom pinning. I am dissapointed that Emtek has not resolved this issue, as they do have extra tall trimsets for multipoint. I am not too keen on YALE. It is made to be builder grade (Cheap). Just not rugged enough for my liking. Electrified Ferco/GU will be a service nightmare when it fails. I had a few clients order doors so equipped, and it took one of them a year to get it serviced under warranty, as it never worked when installed.

Regardless of what DIY Mods one cares to do, it is imperative that the lock mechanically works smoooooth as silk. Then you have a chance of the electronic add-ons succeeding.

• Joel Newton
    last year

I have Jeld-Wen multipoint as well - I've been following this thread for a very long time, hoping for a solution. I've seen a few comments really frustrated about how this type of door requires you to pull up to lock it fully. Thats my door for sure. But the reason I want a smart lock is really only for using a code to unlock (or fingerprint). Manually locking is not a big deal for me. If I only need a smart lock for UNLOCKING, would any of these solutions work?

• vicarz
    last year

Same - my original link to this thread is YEARS old and still the solutions are middlin at best. Mine is even worse - it's not installed well, so as my wife puts it, you have to shoulder check it to lock or unlock it at all.

It will cost thousands to replace but we're thinking of getting a replacement door entirely and never, ever, ever getting a jeld wen product again. This thread is testament to why.

• Phil Day
    last year

I successfully found a smart lock solution for a multipoint lock. I preferred it from lockstate.com but from their British division they had recently acquired. It is a slim lock that works flawlessly. Highly recommend

• Carlton Bale
    last year

I purchased and installed the Fuhr motorized lock and it works flawlessly. It has a wired power supply that feeds through the door, so no battery-swap every few months. It is a fantastic solution.

However, as I said in a comment 3 years ago, I purchased the Fuhr lock from Europe and had it shipped over. I ordered the door uncut and routed the channel for the lock myself. Doing that is not for the faint of heart. Also, you have to know every detail of the lock you're ordering, and there are 6 or 7 different details that you have to spec. It's not something I'd recommend to anyone . It took hours of research and hours to install.

Paying the $5k for the Kolbe door with this Fuhr (Hoppe) lock pre-installed would have been a much, much easier path.

• PRO
    last year

@Carlton Bale Glad to hear that it works great! If you have a brand new door without any lock prep and have advanced woodworking skills/toolset (mortising for multpoint lock is even trickier than for regular mortise lock) then it's actually not that complicated, but as far as the retrofit for existing system goes the options are still slim.

I wish Houzz would pin the comment from me with the final set up, that we came up with, instead of older message, when we were in the process of figuring it out - the final set up works great, but still requires a slightly different cut out than normal Ferco ( we use GU Ferco gears for multipoint) and really is meant for new doors mostly so every once in a while I have to disappoint folks reaching out from this thread, telling them that I can only do it on brand new doors that we do.

Ferco has a set up for hardwired system but I wasn't; too impressed with the interface or complexity of the install. Still sometimes it can be a solution as well. I actually recently used hardwired set up for a smartfilm on the active door - was a lot of fun seeking out electrified hinges & figuring out how to run & hide the wiring inside the door.

Well at least looks like we are moving somewhere in with hardware evolution North America (sloowly:)))

Have a great day!

• Chad Lang
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Jeld-Wen multipoint user here - contacted Jeld-Wen phone support, emailed support and 2 outside salesmen, finding out 2 things:

1. They don't know anything about this issue
    2. They don't care anything about this issue

The person I got on the phone said he'd raised this issue to corporate several times only to be ignored, but then after a couple minute conversation he seemed to forget if we were talking about a door or window, so that may be why they ignore him.

What I have learned from this thread is:

1. Stay away from Jeld-Wen and Marvin multipoint lock doors if you want any convenience your parents didn't have
    2. This is why we can't have nice things.

It seems this thread is a good 4 years old with no promising solutions.

• vicarz
    4 months ago

Hey - I got a horrible solution! I've been following this thread for years and Chad's comment above is really telling about the company.

So, I do not recommend my solution: my neighbor's house caught on fire.

I live in a rowhome (townhome) so when his place caught on fire, some smoke leaked into my house. When the firefolks came they heard my smoke alarm going off and broke the door down - to its credit they failed at forcing the door and instead smashed through the glass.

Now I'm doing an insurance claim to replace the door - and you know what I'm not going to do!? I'm not going to get any type of 3 point lock! Oh hell no! No, I'm going to get a regular lock with deadbolt - something normal that can have one of the 800 different types of electronic or smart interfaces.

Never, ever, get a 3 point lock. Tell your family and friends.

That's my solution - if someone breaks your door, replace it with not-a-3-point-lock.

• nancyperezrod
    4 months ago

yes, at this point that would be a wise decision especially since electronic locks are now an option.

• Chad Lang
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

@Rd what type metal bar did you start with on your application?

Somehow I'm thinking that a retrofit solution that involves grinding a metal bar to fit is the most elegant smart lock for my expensive door here in the clown world of 2023.

Jeld-Wen's email response from my question yesterday was:

Hello Chad,

Thank you for contacting JELD-WEN. We do not offer smart locks or keyless entry options at this time.

Please use the link below to search for parts that are available to you.
    https://jeld-wenparts.com

Absolutely asinine. Then they sent me a customer satisfaction survey that I answered truthfully and requested a phone call. We'll see how that goes.

• Chad Lang
    4 months ago

UPDATE from JW support via email:

Good morning Chad,

My name is Michaeline, I am a supervisor in Customer Experience for JELD-WEN. Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and suggestions on how we can improve our product. JELD-WEN at this time does not offer smart lock or keyless entry options. I advise your best option would be to contact or visit the retailer you purchased your product from. They may be able to advise a smart lock or keyless entry system that would be compatible with your product.

I understand you would like to connect over the phone. Please let me know a time and day that works best for you. I am in the Eastern Time Zone, my hours are 8-5 PM EST. Is -------------- the best number to contact you? Please feel free to use this email chain to contact me directly at any time in regards to this inquiry.

Thank you,

Michaeline Spencer I CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE SUPERVISOR

JELD-WEN, Inc.
    Phone: 888-594-3578
    Web:
    www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/support
    Email:
    customerserviceus@jeldwen.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email

MY RESPONSE:

Yes, that is the correct number, I’ll be available whenever you call. So far I can’t recommend anything about your product or customer service, change my mind.

Thanks,

Chad

I received a call from "Michaeline" @7:20AM CST today and she couldn't be more pompous or dismissive of any comment other than JW is infallible by not acknowledging there is any issue. Worst customer service experience I've ever had.

This company is terrible and I hope they go bankrupt. I told her I would do everything in my power as a consumer make that so by steering others away from their proudly antiquated company.

However, I learned from my reseller that Ashland Hardware Systems - https://www.ashlandhardware.com - makes their hardware so I may see what they say, but am expecting more of the same since their website isn't even HTTPS. I am pretty defeated at the moment.

• coolgen10
    4 months ago

I am in the same boat. I did try to use a SwitchBot lock on my Marvin 3-point lock but it did not have enough torque to turn my lock on my sliding glass door.

• Chad Lang
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Jeld-Wen multipoint users - I've devised what is a very clean solution for the August WiFi Smart-Lock and plan to patent it and make it available through a Jeld-Wen dealer when that process is complete. The only drawback is that if multipoint is engaged from the outside you have to use the key to unlock it and it can still be engaged from inside. However, that is a small limitiation considering the convenience offered and that if an intruder wants in the will just break the glass and get in anyway.

I'll continue to post updates here.

• Nicole Leeds
    2 months ago

hi all. I feel for you all on this journey. I have been on a search and deep dive to figure out how to automate the lock for our Millgard 2 swinging doors with a multi-point lock. You have to lift the handle to lock the bolt which appears to engage at the top middle and bottom. Here is the link to my doors:https://www.milgard.com/doors/V400/swing-doors and I am attaching pictures. Can anyone recommend something that might work for this? Is it similar to all of the above where I will need to essentially jerry-rig one of the automatic smart locks to make it work? That is not in my wheelhouse. If anyone can recommend a locksmith in Los Angeles that can do this, I'd be thankful!

• vicarz
    2 months ago

FWIW we removed our 3 point lock door at great cost (it was damaged first) and will never get another. That said, we moved and are now in a home that has regular doors with regular locks...BUT to close each requires pushing hard against the insulation - said another way they're "pressurized." As such we cannot use auto-locks because unless you're holding the door tightly closed, the lock doesn't line up and the battery will quickly die as the lock tries and fails repeatedly to lock.

In those discussion threads, there is a back and forth between:

1) The deadbolt hole is not lined up properly, you should adjust the door so that when closed the deadbolt closes easily.

2) Don't use electronic locks at all - the gains, from having a tightly closed door that requires pushing while locking or unlocking range from energy efficiency to security as criminals won't have an easy a time wedging in burglary tools, outweigh the benefit of having one less key in your pocket.

So while this door and this company annoyed me, I see there actually isn't just a black and white answer to the auto-lock door issue after all.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner