SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ngrrsn_gw

Damping Off disease and Chamomile

ngrrsn
11 years ago

Specific inquiry to Chamomile; proven or myth?

I am interested in "home" remedies for common garden problems. However, I have found many of them to be myth propagated over the years without any validation or experimental evidence testing the purported benefits. In some cases they are flat out wrong (like adding crushed egg shells when you plant tomatoes to prevent blossom end rot). Then, when I find something that seems to be plausible, there are huge variances in treatment recommendations. For example, regarding Chamomile one site said to use 1/4 cup chamomile to 1 cup boiling water, another said 1/4 to 2 cups boiling water, a third site said 1/4 to one cup boiling water and then add that to 1 gallon of water! HUGE differences! One site said let it seep until cool and strain, another site said let it seep for two days!

I have seen a number of popular forum, magazine, and garden references to chamomile as a deterrent/cure for damping off diseases (which have plagued me in the past). However, I have not found any agriculture/university/extension reports validating the claim (though I did find a couple of extension articles written by Master Gardeners who mentioned it).

Do you know of any evidential documentation supporting chamomile as a proven and effective solution for damping off diseases?

Comments (8)