SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

From Oak Hill's November newsletter

whitecat8
10 years ago

This month's online newletter from Oak Hill is interesting. (No financial interest.) The new owners recommend low-toxicity insecticides, such as insecticidal soap, neem oil, and Bayer Rose and Flower spray, with the Bayer being used only when orchids are in an isolated area in the house or in a greenhouse.

Then they addressed rotating insecticides:

"Whatever insect control you choose, it is always recommended to use products in rotation to reduce the probability of the insects becoming resistant."

No matter what type insecticides you use, do you rotate them? Anyone have experience with pests becoming resistant to a specific product, then disappearing when you used a different product of about the same toxicity? (Seems logical folks would go for higher strength/toxicity.)

I've used the same homemade recipe for insecticidal soap for several years. Until this last year's bout with spider mites, my orchids hadn't had many pests. Now I'm using neem oil, which I'd avoided all this time because folks said the odor was awful. Luckily, it smells fine to me. :)

You can sign up for Oak Hill's monthly newsletter, which always has a special. This month, it's an Angraecum package - 3 for $19.

Right now, archived newsletters don't have issues from this October or November.

Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Hill Gardens

Comments (11)