SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Pruning Ramblers that cover structures

sergeantcuff
13 years ago

I know there have been recent discussions about pruning ramblers. What I still don't quite understand is how to prune ramblers that one wishes to cover structures (arbors, sheds) or to climb trees. And what to do about ramblers that have gone unpruned for years? Do ramblers really form new canes from underground or from the woody base?

My biggest problem is a 5 or 6-year-old Veilchenblau that I want to cover a shed. I have never taken out any old canes and it has formed a woody base. No new canes have come from the ground. I want to rejuvenate it and keep it healthy, but not hinder its growth over the shed. If I take out a few of the oldest canes, there will hardly be any of it left.

It is no longer firmly attached to the shed and a large portion of it (out of photo) is blocking the compost pile and I am being nagged to do something about it. I am installing a heavy-duty system of wires to secure it to the shed. If there is to be a drastic pruning, perhaps I should wait until after this year's bloom.

{{gwi:224592}}

{{gwi:224593}}

I also have a City of York with similar issues.

Thanks for any advice. Please excuse the weeds and debris. I wish Mr. "I can't reach the compost pile, whatever am I to do with these potato peels" would focus on some tidying up.

Maureen

Comments (4)