SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Ensuring success of cuttings

joshtx
10 years ago

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about the cuttings I took during the fall, but I hope you'll oblige me one more time. I took a lot of cuttings this fall, all of them in October and November.

A handful of the first batch took and started throwing roots out. So far I for sure have 2 Maggie, 2 Lamarque, 2 Mons Tillier, and 1 G. Nabonnand. There are still some cuttings in cups that are viable but not showing roots.

I originally had many more than that, especially of the Mons Tillier. Out of the 6 cuttings I had 5/6 had roots within a month. But for some reason some of them began to die, and I lost a few. 2/4 of the Maggie never rooted, and only 1/4 G. Nabonnand has tiny roots visible. Two of them up and died without rooting, and one is still fighting the good fight.

Some of the Mons Tillier had leaves turned yellow, its roots took on a brown color, and no matter what I tried they croaked. I wasn't sure if it was the cold, so at first I brought them inside. Boy they sure didn't like that. Even with their baggies still on they seemed to instantly sulk. One rooted cutting of MT that I tried to harden off wilted, and then kicked the bucket. It never dropped its leave, but they did dry up.

Is it common to lose cuttings which have rooted? Or is this a case of used error?

It's not all losses, though. The second batch of cuttings I took included many many cuttings of the Allen Cemetery China. It never put out roots, but the stems never died. Looking at them yesterday, many of them are growing tiny leaves without roots visible. This is most likely the cane providing energy for the growth, but when I pulled the weakest one out of the dirt, it had minor callusing around the bottom. I expected it to root vigorously , as the parent plant at the Allen Historical Cemetery is a monster as very vigorous.

Oy vet. Sometimes plants are the most simple, straightforward things in my life; sometimes they are the most finicky and complicated....

Josh

Comments (19)