SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

crazy crazy weather

sunnysideuphill
12 years ago

This is turning into one of those New England winters that fits the old cliche, "don't like NE weather? wait 5 minutes!".

We have not had a single winter storm, after that totally out of character Halloween snowfall. Nothing. No shoveling. Nada. Mild days, nights barely getting down to freezing - then a shot of frigidity that hardens up all the ground and has us slipping on the driveway where the mist froze into black ice. Tonight it's supposed to get down to single numbers or lower with a windchill.

And what of all the rose bushes, subject to the wind, dehydration, teasing warm days? I guess it is a real test of how hardy those gallicas, albas, rugosas are.

I have put some hemlock and excess Christmas tree boughs over the smallest, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

And the indirect effects - I ordinarily have snow removal bills between $300 and $700 per month, so imagine what the income looks like for the young man who does my property and many others in the area. I suppose that the money I'm not spending on snow removal may be going for rose replacement this spring....but that won't help him any.

Who ever thought I'd be hoping for a major nor'easter! Both for his cash flow and to protect my roses...

Comments (12)