SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

The crazy weather -- what is going on?

dirtygardener
5 years ago

All the services said it was going to be in the 40s last night, so I didn't bring anything in. I woke up at 7 a.m. to 35 F. It seems that's as low as it went, and just at a glance, it seems everything did o.k., but WTH? All of them are still putting "real" temperatures for yesterday with a low around 45, and that today's low is going to be 45. How do you know anymore when to protect plants and when not to?

This has been the craziest winter since I moved back to Gainesville 5 years ago. Cold, but not too cold; rainy and cloudy; dreary and depressing weather all around. I have a feeling that summer is going to be even worse.

I don't understand how people can say the climate isn't changing. When I first moved to FL, I lived in Bradenton, and there was constantly frost on my windshield in the mornings in the winter. My friends in Bradenton tell me that there is hardly ever frost now. Gainesville used to have freezes every winter, some quite severe. Now you just never know what's going to happen. I miss the days when you knew winters were freezing and summers were hot.

On a related note, it freaking snowed in Hawaii!! Not a good time for gardeners.

Comment (1)