SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

They went on a vacation

gandle
12 years ago

The year was 1940, summer when my father asked me if I minded staying home and taking care of the place. Dad was gassed in France in WW1 and his lung problems had affected his heart and by 1940 he had rented out most of the land and really all the chores I would have to do was milk twice a day take care of the poultry and dogs and cats. He did have 2 horses left but they were in pasture so very little care needed except seeing that the windmill had the watering tank full.

I had been to Yellowstone park the summer before with my grandfather and uncle. Grandma had just died and the uncle thought granddad needed to get away. Grandads brother took care of his farm while we went.

I said sure I'll stay. He said I'm going to take the rest of the family to the Black Hills, we want to see Mount Rushmore. I think there were only 2 heads at that time, not sure.

I talked to sister about it and she said dad had talked about it for a week. They had never, ever been off the farm overnight for at least 15 years. She also rolled her eyes and said that ought to be fun. I knew what she meant. Much younger 1/2 brother got car sick seemingly just looking at a car. From where we lived near the Kansas line it was going to be at least a 350 mile trip.

I had ideas of staying up most of the night listening to the radio. The huge old console radio had at least 3 short wave bands. I was the only one that ever listened to them and it had to be after everyone else was in bed.

The time went uneventfully on the farm but when they came home a day early I couldn't wait to talk to sis about the trip. I asked about Mount Rushmore, she said it was great. I asked about the trip. She rolled her eyes again and said if you don't mind stopping every 50 miles to let Tom out of the car it was O.K.

Step-mother told me later that little brother was sick so often that the trip really wasn't all that much fun except for Rushmore. She said we tried everything, made him lie down so he couldn't see the scenery going by. We tried singing, tried reading to him, tried to get him to sleep nothing worked.

Guess he got over being carsick though, when he was going to college he worked all summer driving truck.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions