SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_e

Prophylactic mastectomy... do you know anything about this?

Does anyone know anyone who has had this procedure or any groups I could contact to find someone who has? I'm still in the chemo support circuit but don't know of groups that include pre-cancer issues at all.

I just read some studies and it can cut the chances of BC for women with one of two genetic markers by 95%. OTOH, in the control group, OVER HALF the women got breast cancer.

My Mom had the marker. I don't know about my cousin or my Aunt but every woman in that family got a reproductive cancer. My cousin died of BC before she was 44, but my aunt is still kicking, and running a nudist colony no less, at the ripe age of 77, lol. Mom got HER2 positive BC at 44.

I thought it was for the extreme few, but apparently this surgery is really being done now.

Any idea if insurance covers something like this [any insurance folks here?]

And while my mind is on this, I want to add that I had a beef with gynocologists for years about not caring whether I was on estrogen, etc or not. At the magic age of almost-37, now suddenly doctors are all over me about the hormones I take for endometriosis and for how long, how many years I used the pill, etc.

How frustrating that it 'didn't matter' 5 years ago, but now what I did 5 years ago matters. I was researching it then, because of what I learned about Mom's cancer and estrogen. But be careful out there, y'all and your daughters!

Even my family history didn't make local gynos think really carefully while I was under 35 [I just refused to take estrogen at all]... but aged 34 or 36, I feel the caution should be there regarding hormones, at least for those with a scary family history.

Comments (15)