SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krista_marie_gw

i am awake (and out of bed) waaaay to early (ADHD question)

krista_marie
15 years ago

I am not very good at sleeping in any more. On the weekends I try to stay in bed until 8, but I just can't since the body has been trained to wake up at 4. Today, my mind started racing as soon as I stirred.

DS got his first report card with "real" grades. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. Last year was a little tough, but not too bad as far as homework, but I did see that his writing and self starting was in need of help. They had to write stories with the spelling words last year and without me prodding him along and "red lining" the story, it would have been awful. He had a hard time sitting still in class and with multi-part instruction, he was lost after the first one or two steps. I would say that school was still "kid stuff" last year. This year, the kids are supposed to be more independent, self starting etc. Not so much play time anymore. I sent off two desperate e-mails to his teacher after homework time one evening. I wanted to put my head through a wall. OMG The things they are learning now came so easily to me at that age. I know where he "should" be, but it ain't happening without a miracle. I know he is a smart kid, I love him to pieces, and I want him to succeed. He is totally unable to self start. I told his teacher that it is like he hears and reads without understanding. I had to literally have him read the directions for every math problem, there were 21 problems!

He has had speech since age 4 and now receives it outside of school as well in a pragmatic skills group. He just can not focus or comprehend. It's not like he doesn't try, but he quits because it is frustrating. I can't let him quit. I am somewhat anti chemical/drug, but this past Thursday after the teacher meeting and speaking with the mother of one of the boys in his pragmatic class, I actually considered medicating. I do not want to. I also do not want to see him suffer,not learn and flounder through life. I am reading and weighing all sorts of things. I know many of you are or have been teachers or parents. Any input? I have just started reading about the possible causes, treatments, & issues but prefer to hear personal experiences. There is so much information for me to digest (that's why my mind is racing)before I do anything else for him.

Oh-I forgot to say Good Morning : )

Comments (16)

Sponsored
More Discussions