SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

My Pepper List this Year - 8b - Seedling Questions

syntria
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and I'd like to open myself up to any and all comments/critism. Don't hold back if it sounds like I'm making a bad decision or there is some way I could improve! - See the end of the post for a summary of my experiances last year and plans for this year.

Seedling Health Question - My garage is not heated, and it has been getting close to 20f outside a few nights but I don't believe the area where my seedlings are getting under 40-50f at night. I also have the peppers on heatting pads until they get their true leaves. The two pictures below show the seedlings and they seem to have some damage/wilting. Can anyone give me some feedback as to what might be wrong with them? I know it could be a good number of things.

Planned Pepper List - Keeping 1-2 plants each, plan to sell or swap excess. Suggestions for a few other varities to try that would do well in Texas Heat (DFW Area) with 11am-6pm direct-sun would be great!

• Thai Hot - 6 seedlings started
  • Serrano - 6
  • Early Jalapeno - Tray of 72 started
  • Santaka Hot - 6
  • Cayenne Blend - 6
  • Poblano - 6
  • NuMex Joe E. Parker Anaheim - 6
  • Italian Marconi Golden - 6
  • Habanero - 6
  • Pepperoncini Greek - 12

Experiance Rating

• 1 - Loved growing it/great yeild/taste
  • 2 - Average experiance/Not remarkable
  • 3 - Major Issues, would not grow again

Last Year

• Thai Hot - 3 - Cute plant, good flavor, peppers are very small but plentiful
  • Santaka Hot Asian - 1 - Loved growing this, beautiful plant. Peppers dried well and I crack them open as needed for seasoning (taco seasoning, gauc, asian sauces)
  • Early Japaleno - 2 - Not very productive, may have been over crowded by other pepper plants.
  • Yolo Wonder - Green Peppers - 2 - Thin walled/wasn't very productive
  • Sweet Cherry Blend - 2 - Fun to snack on, highly productive plant, not great flavor
  • Pasilla Bajio - 2 - Pretty long black pepper, flavor was odd, wasn't sure what to do with them.
  • Purple Beauty - 3 - Gross. Pretty but gross. Thin walled and the flavor was really weird.
  • California Wonder - 1 - Low yield but thick-walled and large with great taste.
  • Poblano - 1 - Huge Yeilds in Late-Summery, Easily 50 fruit per plant though small, fist size at the largest
  • Italian Marconi Golden - 1 - Massive, half a foot long average. Versital pepper for grilling (stand in for a lack of good green peppers) or chopping up in salad. Flavor was crisp and clean but a little different

Photo are my last pepper harvest of 2014

I'm growing all of these from seeds. I'm also planning to sell extra plants at my local farmers market to try to recoup the cost of my gardening hobby. I have a grow-room set up in my extra garage, room for 16 trays with lights that can be adjusted to be right against the seedlings. I went a little overboard. I have 200 3'' small planters and 400-500 jiffy soil pellets to get them started. I don't really like spicy peppers but I find them beautiful and I LOVE to provide for my neighbores.

I just started growing from seeds last year as I just got my first home. I built 8 4'x8' raised beds from cedar planks at 8'' deep with 50% 'local' compost (wood chips basically), 10% peatmoss, 10% cow manuer, 30% self-created compost (grass, leaves, food scraps). The soil under my beds are thick and sticky clay which I hand tilled maybe 6''. I tried to grow last year strawberries, onions, beans, potatoes, tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and melons. I found out I had rabbits so good bye to all the beans, strawberries, onions. I got a dozen good yellow squash before the squash bugs took over. Cucumbers produced fantastic, I could pick 2-4 every few days but I let some kind of bugs take over (I bought ladybugs but it wasn't enough). Tomatoes I tried to grow Roma, Cherokee Purple, Tiger Strip, and others---all of which failed probably due to the shallow soil and wet clay that resulted in wet feet--I got maybe one or two fruit per plant. I did however also grow some Super-Sweet 100 and Sungold Grape tomatoes and they did amazing, well over 8' high and producing heavily. I had a nice yeild of potatoes, I planted 10 red and 10 whites and got nearly 100-200 red potatoes though a fraction as many whites.

Okay! Whew! That's a summery of last year. I've learned a lot and I really want to do better this year. I've invested in a fake owl, some fox urine, and I've condensed my beds so now I have 4 4'x8'x16'' beds. I have condensed the soil I had but I need to buy approxmately another 100 sqfeet of soil. The current soil I have is broken down well, dark, and filled with worms, every scoop has worms in it.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus